In case I'm not the only one who didn't already know...

bob budd

...(evil) telemarketers will be able to call you on your cell phone soon, maybe today. They were previously blocked because the calls cost you money. In the future you need to call 888-382-1222 to put your phone number on a no-call list. There is also a website, www.donotcall.gov.

In fact, I bet the existence of the do-not-call registry was used as a wedge by the telemarketing industry to get cell phone priveleges in the first place. I predict the pubic outcry will be enormous when the first junk calls hit cell phones and the do-not-call site is overwhelmed.

Also, don't forget that registrations expire after 5 years. Seems like another sop to the telemarketing industry. Amazing! Mark your calendar for 2010, since I bet you will only find out when junk calls start again.

--David

There is a consortium compiling a list of cell phone numbers for 411 access. Individual can ask that their number be left off the list, if they don't then their number will be on the list. The consortium presently plans not to sell the list to anyone but is bound by no law (not) to do so. The hoax arises from the suspicion that the consortium can at any time sell this list.

If you have given your cell phone number to something as innocent as a headhunter, a doctor's office, etc. such organizations regularly sell their phone lists to telemarketers. This is one way that telemarketers can get your cell phone number. A friend of my ex-wife used to assemble and sell phone and mailing lists on the side and made non-trivial sums of money doing so.

Telemarketers are not prevented from calling your cell phone by law except when done so with auto-dialers. Auto-dialers are those wonderful devices where they make calls with noone on the other end of the phone when the call is placed. As the phone rings/is answered the telemarketer sometimes fails to get someone on their end of the phone, that's likely why you get calls now and then with noone on the other end. Telemarketers opposed the extension of portability of numbers to cell phones because it made it harder for them to know when they were calling cell phone and thus avoid penalty under this law. When a cell phone is reached there are various signals, etc. that allow a sophisticated caller or equipment to identify the cell phone versus a "land line" phone. If they are prosecuted by the authorities the fine is $11,000. Individuals can sue for $500.

Yes, I haven't gotten calls on the cell phone from telemarketers. I consider it inevitable and welcome the "no call" registry. I do get/have gotten "unsolicited" calls through dormant contacts, mostly headhunters and direct sales persons/manufacturer's reps.

I recall when I lived in Groton with the old switches that connected local calls with the last four digits. Ours was 3430 where 343 was a Fitchburg exchange (first three digits) where if the caller forgot to dial "1" first they got us instead of 343-0???. One of the numbers was alcoholic's anonymous, someone we couldn't hang up on. I'd have preferred "Pizza Man".