kayaking to key west

mccumial

I remember hearing about a few members who kayaked out to Key West a few years back. A freind and I are interested in doing a similar trip.

Could someone post some detaisl about the trip? Of particular interest is the outfitter who provided the kayaks, conditions, and days on the water.

TIA,

Eric J.

Rick Stoehrer has done it 2 or 3 times. One time he dragged myself and another friend of his along (this was spring 2002). The memoirs are archived in the Trip Reports section of this board - you may have to dig back a bit...the message was updated about 2 years ago when I added a link to a bunch of pictures online.

I had a great time, and was glad I did it, but probably wouldn't do it again. I could be tempted to make a base camp about halfway down (around Bahia Honda) and do some long day trips or overnight trips. Read the report, and email Rick or me (or post here) with specific questions, I guess.

We didn't use outfitters - we are anarchists. We drove down in order to take our own boats, but I think rentals are easier to come by now, and it is a long drive.

I don't recommend going this weekend, by the way.

I'm pretty sure some other club members have been down there, but I can't recollect who.

From where to Key West?

If you're going from Key Largo check out Florida Bay Outfitters.

Let me know and I'll give you some options.

The paddle down from Everglades City to Flamingo is awesome if you wanted something different.

You can e-mail me directly if you'd like scott@adirondackexposure.com