New Hampshire up coming boat fees?

chetpk

My wife heard on the radio that the NH Fish and Game department has proposed to the legislature that canoes and kayaks be taxed/liscenced if they will be operating on NH waters. The New Hampshire State Parks and Fish and Game departments have to be completely finacially self sufficient now as the legislature removed them from the state's General Fund operating budget. Because of this they are often looking for cash cows to cover their operating expenses. Fish and Game traditionally relied on the purchasing of Hunting and Fishing licenses, but those sales have been on a steady decline. Apperently Fish and Game are eyeing kayaks and Canoes to generate a replacement revenue.

>My wife heard on the radio that the NH Fish and Game

>department has proposed to the legislature that canoes and

>kayaks be taxed/liscenced if they will be operating on NH

>waters. The New Hampshire State Parks and Fish and Game

>departments have to be completely finacially self sufficient

>now as the legislature removed them from the state's General

>Fund operating budget.

All quite true, but they have yet to formulate who they want fees from and how. They are talking about collecting fees from hikers, bird watchers, kayakers, canoists, just about anyone engaged in an outdoor activity as well as charging a fee when they have to respond complaints of bears raiding bird feeders and moose camping out in yards.

All in the discussion phase and due to shrinking revenues from hunting and fishing fees.

How they would enforce it is the big question.

Ed Lawson

The Fish and Game department only has 48 full-time conservation officers. They can't keep up with poachers, polluters and other offenders as it is, so there's no way they'd ever be able to enforce any fees levied on kayayakers, hikers and birdwatchers. Increased revenues would be solely due to people who voluntarily paid the fees. Given the NH citizens' record on resisting taxes and fees, it's not likely to be a big revenue generator.

And you know this how???

I can just see a Game Warden trying to lash a few sea kayaks and canoes on the roof of his state-issued SUV. Yeah, that'll happen. On the other hand, bird watcher's optics and hiker's boots could be in jeopardy! ;-)

Regardless, if this was to become law, I simply wouldn't paddle on freshwater in NH anymore, which I basically don't do anyway.