Umbagog: Sees Moose and Leaves: Oct. 8-10 FULL

eneumeier

On the calendar. Bethany Ericson will be assistant leader.

This trip is full. I will keep a wait list of those who send their complete RSVP information, or you could make your own reservation on another island, here: http://www.nhstateparks.org/ParksPages/Umb...UmbagogCmp.html

Umbagog: Sees Moose and Leaves

October 8-10, 2005

2:00 PM

Moose, foliage, paddling, remote-island camping. The perfect combination. We have reserved prime remote campsites 28 and 29, near the eagle’s nest. More information about the area is available here: http://www.umbagogchambercommerce.com/index.php

Here is the basic plan:

Saturday: Meet at the NH parks campground and pack kayaks to launch at 2:00 PM. Depending on the wind conditions, we will either explore the south end of the lake before going to our campsites, R-28 and R-29, or take the sheltered route on the west side, passing to the northwest of Big Island and following the west shore to our campsites.

Sunday: Explore the lake, as permitted by wind conditions.

Monday: Explore the lake, as permitted by wind conditions. Be back at the takeout no later than 3:00 PM, to unload, take showers, and head to a PPP-O or back home.

CAVEAT: Wind on this lake can be sudden, shifting, gusty (20+ knots), and create chop of 2’ or more. While the dominant winds will put us in the lee, winds out of the east will create beam seas. Conditions could result in our return being delayed.

Liz will send further instructions to and coordinate the all-important fine dining issues with the participants. Camping fee of $26.50 per person must be paid in advance.

RSVP: IMPORTANT: This trip will fill quickly. To be on the list you MUST include your name, NSPN/ACA #, contact information, boat description, and emergency contact in the FIRST email you send me at eneumeier@earthlink.net. If I have to ask you for additional information, the trip will likely be full by the time you reply.

Do NOT send me an email asking if there is still room. If you do, I will not answer. I will post the status of the trip on the message board.

WHAT TO BRING: Level 2 paddling gear. Spray skirts and waterproof lights mandatory. Paddling clothing appropriate for cold water: wetsuit/paddling jacket or drysuits. Camping equipment suitable for northern NH in October.

Put-in location: NH parks campground on Rt. 26

Distance: 6-10 NM per day

Duration: 6 hours paddling per day

Group size: 8 including leaders

Leader and Assistant Leaders: Liz Neumeier and TBA

Liz N.

• 1 month later...

The mosquitoes will be wearing little fleece coats. Dress accordingly.

Today's weather report from Errol, NH.

Friday: A chance of showers, mainly before 10am. Partly cloudy, with a high around 51. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Friday Night: A chance of showers, mainly before 11pm. Partly cloudy, with a low near 30. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Saturday: A chance of showers, mainly after noon. Partly cloudy, with a high around 53. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Saturday Night: A chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 29. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Sunday: A chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a high around 52. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Yeah, but they can't bite through my thickest fleece so I get to keep all my blood and kayakers know how to handle wet.

If anyone else wants to paddle up there this weekend, please make your own reservation or just show up at the campground. They will not be fully booked.

Coos County or bust!

Liz N.

>If anyone else wants to paddle up there this weekend, please

>make your own reservation or just show up at the campground.

We have campsite #30, near to the others. See

http://www.nhstateparks.org/ParksPages/Umbagog/umbagog.pdf

for a map of the lake. We are now unable to attend, (my son) Ryan has other unexpected obligations on Sunday and Monday and I am expected at work on Monday. We have a site for up to four adults; Dee, Ryan, and I make three. Judy Whipple has expressed interest in being our fourth. So there are three or four spots available for whomever. We need to know if we should cancel the reservation on Thursday. Please respond using the e-mail icon or to this post.

I just got back from the White Mountains, the leaf colour is not quite peak north of Mount Washington. This weekend should be just perfect for the colour. I will be back next week for 5 days in the woods. I didn't see any moose but did see some coyotes and wild turkeys, I gues the coyotes are hoping for an early thanksgiving.

To all on the trip enjoy the weekend.

Remember the leaf colour is much more vivid in the rain!

Jonathan

At this time of year the lake levels up there are as much of a concern as the weather when planning a boat ride. Last year the lakes were brim full after a wet summer. In previous dry years I’ve seen some really low & uninviting while others had better levels for paddling. Water releases for the winter ice season also begin in October.

Umm…bAgog is a shallow lake even at high levels.

Does anyone know about the current water levels in the Connecticut & Rangeley Lakes Region?