Schooner Festival this weekend, Gloucester

eneumeier

This weekend is the 21st annual schooner festival. The oldest will be the 177-foot barkentine Gazela, built in 1883.

Highlights:

Saturday: races, a lighted boat parade at 7:30 PM (I keep thinking that one year I will organize a bunch of us in lighted kayaks to participate) and fireworks.

Sunday: 9:00 AM The parade of sail - great fun to watch from a kayak, followed by the Mayor's Cup, which is hard to watch from a kayak.

More details here: http://www.capeannvacations.com/schooner/schedule/

Liz N.

Can you suggest a good place to launch a kayak from on Sunday? I'm guessing that the Greasy Pole launch site will be pretty much inaccessible due to crowds.

Are any of the events on Saturday worth watching from a kayak? Or are they too far out?

Actually, if you launch before 8:30 AM, Pavillion Beach, AKA the Greasy Pole, should work fine for the parade of sails on Sunday morning.

I am thinking of watching the parade of lights and fireworks this evening, from my kayak. I'll post on the private trips board to see if anyone else is interested.

Liz N.