Mystic Lakes Cancelled

Dee Hall

The weather forecast is for heavy rain and thunderstorms. The storm water runoff will make the water unsuitable for immersion.

I am no longer in Burlington. So, given a participant of one, I will not be coming down today. Hopefully, the weather will be better next week. If you want to paddle today, feel free, but there will be no sign in and please be careful of water quality and lightning along with the usual risks.

-Dee

I was hoping to got but if it's not safe for immersion, I think that I will head home if I can't work on my roll.

Is this the last week of Mystic Lakes this year? I just looked at the Calendar and Sept is blank.

Thanks -Jason

Mystic isn't the only lake in town, nor the cleanest. C'mon out to Walden. There're often kayakers there who will spot you for your rolls and help if you wish, in an unstructured way. I'll be there Thursday afternoon this week, after 4:30. Friday afternoons are a pretty good bet too. I expect to keep practicing there into November. (Then it's ski season.)

Kate

Sounds great, I am going to attempt to get to Walden Friday. I paid the the State the $35 for parking this spring and just haven't made it to Walden enough this year. Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks -Jason

We used to do the sessions at Walden, but the consensus a year two years ago was that Mystic was a lot more convenient to the people who wanted to attend. Also, I can personally attest that the traffic for getting to Walden (route 128 and route 2) can be horrible at around 5:30PM. This is why we have been using Mystic for the last two years.

Who knows, maybe it will be more convenient for next years attendees to use Walden.

It shouldn't be a surprise that Mystic Lake isn't as clean as Walden. It's in an urban area and part of a river. When it rains all the accumulated dung and toxins are washed into the water. The true measure of a body of water is its proximity to ice cream.

The issue with free parking is that there is a sign that tells you to get a parking pass from the main gate or they will ticket you. (I don't know if anybody has ever gotten a ticket). That said it might be better if they left someone at the gate for the people that have to pay the $5.00 instead of making people go to the other gate or possibly get a ticket.

-Jason

Somewhere in the archives (if it got saved -- some stuff was lost) are a number of threads about Mystic Lake water quality. Here's a summary.

Tufts used to measure regularly at the beach at the north end of North Pond as well as other places in the river, but that appears not to be in operation at the moment. The web site is http://engineering.tufts.edu/cee/group/EMP...ISH/Mystic4.htm. I monitored that site intensively two summers ago, and here's what I saw at the north end, where we practice...

In general, that part of the lake is fine for swimming (that is, immersion activites). It's not when (a) there is a big storm and runoff; (B) something else imponderable goes wrong, like a leaky sewer pipe.

(a) is easy to detect. Just stay out of the lake for a day after a substantial rainstorm. The lake usually cleanses itself pretty quickly, sometimes in less than a day. In any case, avoid submersion activities like rolling or re-entries.

(B) unique events -- are rare but obviously tricky to detect. One way to tell is to run by Sandy Beach at the north end and see if it is posted. I think there is a phone number or web site to get closing info for Sandy Beach, but I've lost it.

In general, I think Mystic Lake is fine. But occasional pollution is certainly a price that we urban folks pay for a really convenient place to practice. I myself go there a lot. But when road traffic is light, I also like to go to Lake Cochituate, North Lake, which I find the most beautiful and peaceful of the three (Mystic, Walden and Cochituate).

--David.

Another downside to Walden is the obnoxious rangers who come around with a bullhorn at 7:00 sharp to "remind" everybody that it closes at 7:30 and threaten bodily harm to anyone staying after that. Many's the time I and others have lingered leisurely into late dusk on Mystic, practicing, playing and chatting... ok, mostly chatting.

--David.

Right now Miriam and I are planning to be at Walden on Friday afternoon (assuming I'm feeling better). For me Walden is an easy 15 minute drive from work on traffic free back roads, driving to Mystic would be a pain at rush hour.

Ralph Cohn

White SOF