Multi-Club Paddle with ConnYak?

Walter

Can some one set me straight?

I have a note on my calendar that indicates a Multi-Club Paddle is scheduled with ConnYak for Saturday August 27.

Anyone know if this is still on? Put-In? and Time?

Thanks

Walter

Impex Assateague

Emerald Green/White

Thanks Mike and Bob.

For the life of me I could not remember were I had got the information about the multi-club paddle in Fisher's Sound.

So I guess the next logical question.

Is NSPN as a club participating?

If not is anyone from the club participating?

Walter

Impex Assateague

Emerald Green/White

I think you saw it originally when Wayne posted it to our message board at the beginning of the summer or so.

The bigger question is why isn't NSPN involved in this as a club sponsored trip. I will try and answer that question.

The last multi club that NSPN attended was a few years back. It was a very large group of paddlers, perhaps 70 or so. There were three large groups that launched separately and all met at the same beach for lunch. After lunch, the winds kicked up a bit and all but the level 4's opted to head back a protected route and I believe even shuttled cars to pick up boats as they landed at places they didn't launch from. When people left the beach, there seemed to be loads of confusion as to who was going where and I think some people ended up following people who they shouldn't have. Basically the departures weren't clearly defined.

I opted to go back with the level 4's rather than cut the paddling short. After a bit, Scott Camlin and I noticed a paddler following but rather far back. We waited for him and offered a tow. Turned out that he was not only dehydrated but hypothermic. He had been out in shorts and shirt and got very cold on the beach. Got in his boat and found he wasn't up to the paddle home. We gave him gatorade and food and ended up towing him back to my car and gave him a ride to his car.

It seems that large groups such as this can be very difficult to manage. From Wayne's post on the private trips msg board, it looks like they are going to manage a few aspects of the trip a bit differently.

If I hadn't just been down to CT this past weekend and away for the 3 or so before that, I would be going down and joining them for the multi club. It was the multi club of a few years ago where the northern contingent met the southern contingent and since then they have hooked up a couple times a year to paddle together as we did last weekend.

So, get together a few friends and join Connyak for some fun.

Suzanne

I think the problems last time -- and there even more than the one Suz cited -- were because ConnYak did not anticipate the difficulties of using their "leaderless" model with a large, diverse group of paddlers, most of whom were accustomed to padling under rather different organizational schemes.

My impression from their message board and trip posting is that they have been very open about the problems last time, and have worked hard to get the act together this time. See Wayne Smith's post under Private Trips for details.

In general, I think ConnYak are eager to prove that a "leaderless" model is not tantamount to total chaos, even on a large paddle with many outsiders.

I was one of the loudest critics last time. But this year, I'd give them a chance and try it again, if I weren't rather overbusy next weekend. It's a nice place to paddle with good experiences at all levels.

It would be useful, however, if someone were to organize the NSPN contingents at least a little bit, so they could be a kind of coherent subgroup.

--David.

>

>...next weekend...

>

27 August would be this weekend.

>It would be useful, however, if someone were to organize the

>NSPN contingents at least a little bit, so they could be a

>kind of coherent subgroup.

They aren't even going to keep track of who to expect, which given the multi-state attendance is understandable, so I don't know what one is likely to gain from this. Rather I'd suggest planning to get their ahead of schedule, go with the flow, and enjoy their hospitality. Of course, if someone wants to herd cats...

> 27 August would be this weekend.

Yeah... guess it is a little late to be thinking of that sort of thing. It ~has~ been the subject of discussion on a number of occasions over the last couple of years where I was present, and, I assume, many more where I wasn't.

--David.

>In general, I think ConnYak are eager to prove that a

>"leaderless" model is not tantamount to total chaos, even on

>a large paddle with many outsiders.

As a Connyak member, I would say that we are not eager to prove anything about the leaderless model. It is more that we don't have the resources to implement the leader model in a way that is better in any significant way than not having a leader. Instead of promising a level of safety that we are incapable of providing, we leave it to participants to take responsibility for their own safety decisions.

OK, point taken. Connyak are not trying to ~prove~ anything. Mea culpa.

But I do gather they are eager to make the leaderless model work in this situation. My main point was that the leaderless model is not the same as "no model" or "total chaos". But apparently, even the leaderless model needs some tweaking and/or augmentation for this situation.

BTW, despite being critical about how the last multi-club with ConnYak worked out, and consequently about the leaderless model at first, I have actually come to admire what you folks have done and think that NSPN might take a look at it.

--David.