Water Temperature

rfolster

I don't know if others are using this NOAA page, but I have never seen before. I would think that it could be extremely helpful for trip planning purposes as it provides the most recent water temperature readings for all monitor stations that read water temperatures, plus the average water temperatures for several months before and after. There is also a link to the monthly averages for the whole year, which will be really helpful to those who have questioned how to layer differently at different times of the year and in different locations.

Dynamite! -- now duly bookmarked, right under the NOAA graphical forecast.

--David

PS -- I notice that the water temp maps at wunderground.com have stopped updating as of early June, for example...

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AN/251.html

So I wonder if the table and map Rob points to are intended as a replacement for the prior data and maps. If so, it may be a significant net loss. Can anyone find other copies of the wundergound map and/or data that may be more up to date, in case it's their problem and not NOAA's.

We proved that Casco Bay water temperature was higher than that around Boston last week. Why did that happen? It looks like it happen ever since the hurricane two weeks ago.

Edited by kurtyang04

It is often surprising just how much the water temperature can vary at different locations during a day's paddling as well as where the changes occur. I suspect depth and amount of tidal flushing are factors. Ironically, sometimes you will see warmer surface temps recorded at buoys well out in the Gulf of Maine than closer in. Of course then there is the issue of what are the water temps say 3' down and how does it compare to surface temps. The sites are certainly informative and interesting.

Interesting discussion. I remember last August, sea surface temperature along Harding beach was something like 70F. But just half mile east of Harding beach, the surface was very cold, like 55F- 60F. And this area ( Northwest of Monomoy) has shallow water. I guess the ocean current/tide play big role on the water temperature.

So for safety concern, I always advice my friends to dress for 55-60F water in August.

So for safety concern, I always advice my friends to dress for 55-60F water in August.

Does that mean wearing a wetsuit in the summer?