Kokatat Gore Tex Cagoule

josko

I would call NE Small Craft and Contoocoook River Canoe and Kayak in Concord, NH as I have seen them (might have been lighter fabric version) in those shops at one time or another. Contoocook also sells the the Seals cag which is a version of the Valley Cag which is a version of the something else and is heavy and bulky, but a really nice bit of kit that can take abuse and keep you dry.

KTP might have them, but I doubt it. Worth a call.

Sometimes Carmody will special order stuff and have it shipped to your door.

Ed Lawson

Thanks Guys,

I'd love to buy the Reed Chillcheater if i can find one in stock somewhere this weekend. So far, I found the Kokatat Tropos version at KTP and will pick it up tomorrow unless I can find the Reed or Kokatat Gore Tex version somewhere.

Can anyone comment on the differences between Tropos and Gore Tex in the Kokatat line?

Thanks Guys,

I'd love to buy the Reed Chillcheater if i can find one in stock somewhere this weekend. So far, I found the Kokatat Tropos version at KTP and will pick it up tomorrow unless I can find the Reed or Kokatat Gore Tex version somewhere.

Can anyone comment on the differences between Tropos and Gore Tex in the Kokatat line?

I purchased the Kokatat Tropos version at KTP about 3 seasons ago and have been very happy with it. The Tropos does not breathe as well as the Gore-tex version but for a cag you want to trap the heat and humidity in like a thermos. The idea is your chilled and need some warmth. I've never been chilled with my cag even when I need to paddle back a reasonable distance. Most of the time the cag is used at lunch break to combat the breeze that causes chill via evaporative cooling.

Would anybody know of a store in New England that carried Kokatat Gore Tex Cags in stock?

That item isn't stocked but anyone who sells Kokatat can order it for you. The Tropos Storm Cag is stocked and KTP does carry it.

NESC no longer stocks Kokatat.

Suz

The Goretex one packs smaller and is ligher, which was a priority for me. It also breathes better, but that's not much of a concern, IMO, for a Storm Cag. The idea is to block heat loss, and either fabric will do that.

If you are looking for the cag that is an integrated spray skirt then I think you will appreciate breathable fabric while paddling. A common problem with the legs while wearing a dry suit is that they don't breath in the cockpit. An integrated spray skirt would encase your whole body but provide the cold air above the cockpit to let the moisture out.

If you aren't looking for a cag that is an integrate spray skirt then I'd recommend making one. We have a couple that roll up in a ball about the size of a (compressible) melon and others have made them (easier to make though probably more volume) out of blankets and towels. That is if you want to save your money and maybe someday own more boats than Mike Crouse.