Looking for tarp recommendations.

jason

I looked at the thread from years past in terms of tarps and it seems a bit out of date.

http://www.nspn.org/forum/topic/4739-tarp-recommendations/

I was wondering what people recommend for tarp these days.

I am looking for a fairly roomy tarp that packs down to a fairly small size.

I found this one that I think looks good, the down side is it's only 10x12:

http://www.granitegearstore.com/White-Lightnin-P97C6.aspx

Does anybody have other recommendations in terms of a kayak camping tarp?

Thanks -Jason

Hi Jason-

We used John Martinsons MSR group tarp http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/essential-series/zing/product in Newfoundland last summer. Expensive but large and effective. I think it's 16 x 14 or so. I've just picked up a 10x12 from a local Somerville company http://outdoorequipmentsupplier.com that packs down to the size of a nalgene.

best

Phil

Jason,

I use the Kelty Noah's Tarp: 12 which is good size and packs well in the Explorer. I also use the polls they recommend. The package says it can accommodate 8 people. Last fall, Rob and I tested it on Quahog Bay in gale force winds. It held up like a champ. I think the key was the "improved tie down system" which we used. Rob and Cathy suggested I try the Thule bow and stern tie downs since I had four of them and they were just collecting dust in the basement. I can not imagine anyone using them to tie down their kayaks, when they work great holding down a tarp in high winds!

Hope this helps!

Warren

Question: I'm evaluating tents at KTP and the first one I set up was a Big Agnes dual2. The floor is 36sg ft. which seemed humongous to me for one person. Any recommendations for one person tents that have a bit more room say 20--25sq.ft. Or is there a good reason to go with the 2 person tent that I'm not aware of. Pack size and weight are not an issue. Oh, sorry I didn't intend to hijack the tarp question.

Edited by GCosloy

Hi Jason-

We used John Martinsons MSR group tarp http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/essential-series/zing/product in Newfoundland last summer. Expensive but large and effective. I think it's 16 x 14 or so. I've just picked up a 10x12 from a local Somerville company http://outdoorequipmentsupplier.com that packs down to the size of a nalgene.

best

Phil

Any idea of the packed size of John's tarp? I like the idea of a large tarp, but I worry about the space as I would still like to be able to put my SLR in the boat.

As for the Outdoor Equipment Supplier it looks like we have two strong votes. Any reason to go with hexagonal cut over the square cut version?

I am looking for a fairly roomy tarp that packs down to a fairly small size.

The key question is what specifically do you need the tarp for? I have been searching for a tarp, and have found that there are basically two types: rectangular(or square) and non-rectangular. Each style has a unique function:

The rectangular are best for solo or couple camping when a minimal tarp is acceptable and pack rook is at a premium. The retangular tarps are best layed out with a pole at the center of one or two opposite sides, with the four corners tied down to the ground. This does not provide a gread amount of "under" space, but provides great side-to-side coverage for a bivy or a cramped camp kitchen. Note the use of hiking poles to hold up the tarp in your photo - it is not very high at the center. Also, if you attempt to set up a rectangular tarp with two poles at opposite corners, you end up with an amount of "unusable" space at the pole points. This is due to the fact that the material narrows as you get closer to the poles, and becomes usless when there is less than a couple of feet wide, which will be a couple of feet from each pole.

The non-rectangular tarps are great for group kitchen coverage, or solo/couple tent-and-kitchen coverage. They offer a much more usable area as they tent to be more "round" than square, so there is more material at the pole/support points. Also, the more "rounded" structure is much easier to get taught without wrinkles which can trap rain water and cause saging or failure. Several people have recommended a link to a decent tarp site that offers the same tarp design in several sizes, depending on the amount of coverage you need.

I personally recommend the non-rectangular types of tarps over the rectangular ones, even for solo camping. I have purchased a cheapo rectangular blue-nylon tarp to go over my bivy, just to see if the design and size is acceptable. The size was ok, but the square tarp just did not do it for me. If and when I purchase a "real" tarp for my solo bivy camping, it will be something like the MSR E-Wing http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/essential-series/e-wing/product, which is very similar to the tarps posted by others.

post-102330-0-23207800-1364248093_thumb.

Any idea of the packed size of John's tarp? I like the idea of a large tarp, but I worry about the space as I would still like to be able to put my SLR in the boat.

As for the Outdoor Equipment Supplier it looks like we have two strong votes. Any reason to go with hexagonal cut over the square cut version?

If my memory is working, I'd say about an oversize soccer ball? Maybe 1.5 soccer balls? If fit easily in his Shadow, but then its a big boat. It's a elongated hexagonal shape with catenary cut edges. As Rob discussed, better coverage that way. The rectangular tarp I got from OES also has a catenary cut, which diminishes the wrinkles and flapping.

best

Phil

Jason:

Take into consideration that the following comments come from a mountaineering background and thinking of a tarp as the primary shelter as opposed to a cook shelter. A tarp around 10 x 10 can provide spacious room for two people and their gear. It can also be quite effective and stormproof if pitched with some ingenuity. Tarps are often used and pitched as a roof, or an A frame with 2 poles, or a sloping roof with two poles. Most pictures of tarps show these basic ways of setting a tarp up which does not show what can be done with one. These basic configuration will do in benign conditions, but the real beauty of a tarp comes when you use some imagination in setting it up and/or have to deal with less than ideal campsite. Of course it helps to have a tarp with numerous tie outs and most today don't have these which limits what you can do. Almost any decent nylon tarp will be light and small given the amount of room we have in a kayak to haul gear. The kelty tarps are nice and other brands of "hi tech" models are expensive all things considered, but any decent patch of nylon will work.

One versatile tarp with adequate ties for setting up creatively is this one:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___22220

For a light weight tarp at a good price:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=746426

Ed Lawson

Those Outdoor Equipment Supplier Tarps look pretty nice, especially for the price, and they're made in the US which is nice. Hard to tell how they stack up size wise compared to the MSR Zing as they don't specify floor area.

The Hillebergs looks like sweet tarps and a better price than the MSR, but no poles included. http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/tarp/tarp.php

Jason, Phil was about right with the Zing itself packing down to about the size of a large loaf of bread, but as shipped from MSR is wrapped around the poles (which are included) so it is long and skinny. I separate the poles and tarp when packing it in the boat. It is a pretty sweet setup. I figured so long as I was bringing a tarp along it should have tons of room under it for sitting out bad weather, being able to give people space to get out of the weather, and get everyone's gear out of the weather. I've spent close to three years living under one of these in places from Mexico, Alaska, and Patagonia, so I figure I know my way around a tarp and their various configurations and setups. So when I was shopping for a tarp I figured I'd go big and get the Zing. I also spent four months living in a MSR Hubba Hubba, so I know MSR's build quality is superb, and their warranty is one of the best in the industry. I also got a good deal via msr's pro deal from having worked in the "industry."

You could always use a nest under whatever tarp you get and not bring a tent along, lightening your setup and saving some space. Lots of cool gear out there, and it seems tents and tarps are becoming harder to distinguish. http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=102 Lots of tarp\nest combo for the lightweight and space of a tarp with the insect protection of a tent.

I have a Moss catenary tarp and a 10x14 sil nylon tarp that campmor sold.

I usually bring the sil tarp because its bigger and packs smaller. To me the catenary tarp limits pitching options, it is much better in high winds, so that's the trade off.

Cookes custom sewing usually gets good recommendations.

I'm assuming you're using the tarp as a cook/camp shelter, not to sleep under?

Oh yea, loops not grommets, always loops.

I usually bring the sil tarp because its bigger and packs smaller. To me the catenary tarp limits pitching options, it is much better in high winds, so that's the trade off.

I am looking for a cook/camp shelter. I am now leaning to the Zing, let's hope is doesn't displace the SLR from the boat.

Why loops, not grommets?

Why loops, not grommets?

Grommits tend to tear out, loops usually have a larger contact area and are more durable. Also I find it's easier to tie off to a loop and with a loop you can stake the edges of the tarp down and have it a few inches off the ground so you still get air flow and the tarp isn't touching the ground. You can also attach a biner to a loop.

Short answer, they're stronger and more flexible.

What Mike said. Also, I believe you should have at least five tie loops on the surface of the tarp to provide rigging options and grommets obviously won't work there. Grommets or tie loops, they should be reinforced and grommets with heavy webbing.

Speaking of tarp rigging, the tautline and trucker's hitch are good knots to know.

More stuff about tarp rigging.

http://hikinghq.net/gear/tarp.html

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/beginners/topics/120382.html

Ed Lawson

All these tarps people write about -- so expensive! There is a firm in the northwest who sell silicone-treated nylon ("sil-nylon") and you can buy it from them, by the square yard -- almost dirt-cheap! Then you simply make your own to your requirements...

I cannot remember their name or contact details; but Suzanne knows this.

As for hiking poles -- don't need them, either: you carry two paddle halves, after all.

All these tarps people write about -- so expensive! There is a firm in the northwest who sell silicone-treated nylon ("sil-nylon") and you can buy it from them, by the square yard -- almost dirt-cheap! Then you simply make your own to your requirements...

I cannot remember their name or contact details; but Suzanne knows this.

As for hiking poles -- don't need them, either: you carry two paddle halves, after all.

This was Suz's post from the old thread

"

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:53 AM

That will do you! For others thinking about the same thing, a few years back, I decided to make one so ordered the material from Seattle Fabrics - at about $10 a yard as it seemed to be the economical choice. I found the material very difficult to work with, very slippery and hard to get the end seams rolled nicely. Also made a few emergency hatch covers out of it which were OK but needed to be sized exactly so not a universal emergency hatch cover which would have been better.

Anyway - the point of my writing was to point out the cost of the material itself so you could see that a DIY tarp might not be worthwhile.

Sir Godfrey is supposed to come over Tuesday night to try his hand at using my sewing machine to make the very same thing - we can have him report back in afterwords to let us know what he thinks.

Suz

"

I know that I don't have Suz's skill at sewing, no matter on something that's difficult to work with. Did you have luck, I didn't see where you reported back with the luck you had.

I never use the one I made. It was a waste of money. I should make something else out of it now like small dry bags or something. But the fabric is tough to work with.

I ended up buying the Granite Gear one that you pointed out. http://www.granitegearstore.com/White-Lightnin-P97C6.aspx

It is excellent and I will show it to you. I think I got the 10 x 12 but will show it to you when you come up next.

Hilleberg has some options: super light but also pretty expensive:

http://www.moontrail.com/tents/hilleberg_tarp20.php

Personally, I pack an MSR 10x12 with wing configuration and catenary cut. Coated nylon so it's not superlight, but compact and sheds wind like a dream. Good for 4 people.

Oh, and an older 1990s Walrus Areo Tarp130 (16x18' in nylon with 8' poles) which serves well for canoe and car camping.

Scott

• 5 years later...

Stay away from Outdoorequipmentsupplier, who maintain a website, but have abandoned service. Paria sanctuary siltarps come in different sizes/styles. Just received a 10' X 12' sil-nylon, lightweight catenary cut tarp for a VERY reasonable $80 thru Amazon:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0763RXW9F/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  complete with guy lines and stakes!

Edited by gyork

• 1 month later...

I know this is a very old thread, but, since it has been recently updated I want to share my experience.  Like many of you all I have been using tarps on trips for a very long time.  I've used pretty much everything out there. Some years ago I discovered Cooke Custom Sewing, (mentioned above). The tarps made by CCS are BY FAR the best tarps I have ever used.  They are not cheap. They last. They are extremely well made by a guy who knows the very heavy use we all put these tarps too. How does he know?  He knows because he is an avid paddler and he has a very substantial amount of experience in all conditions.  The CCS tarps are available in  wide range of dimensions and I believe he will do custom work as well, but you won't need it.  The best of the CCS tarps pack down into a VERY SMALL package and they are VERY light.  For what its worth, my experience is that a rectangular tarp is far more versatile then a non rectangular tarp.  But, I know some see that differently.  Using a rectangular tarp gives you almost unlimited options for pitching.

Edited by rpg51