unsolicited kokotat endorsement

prudenceb

Buy Kokatat!

A week ago I sent my drysuit (1 year old) back to Kokotat to have all the gaskets replaced. The sorry state of the gaskets was totally my fault: likely due to sloppy application of sunblock according to Suz. I'd wondered too whether a dampish feeling in the feet was due to sweat or water from a leak, so what the heck, as long as it was there, I asked them to pressure test the suit.

I just got a phone call from Kokotat telling me they'd found some minor delamination near the rear relief zipper. Certainly not a problem that I had noticed. (Oh, and maybe a few pinhole leaks in the feet, which they didn't even mention until I asked.)

You know how the story ends: The very nice tech guy said that because of the delamination - which really isn't a problem now but could be down the road - they'd just send me a brand new drysuit. So, instead of paying for gasket replacements, pressure testing, and return postage, I spend nothing AND get a new drysuit! Which they said they're put in the mail today - on their dime.

Sweet!

I know I'm not the first person who's had this experience, but for people contemplating buying a first or new drysuit, my recommendation, spend the extra money and buy a Kokatat! Really nice experience to have a company stand so cheerfully and firmly behind their products.

pru

Rubber degrades because sun rays harden the material, robbing it of elasticity. It would follow that sun block would block these rays and slow the degradation of rubber. I am unaware of any specific science on the subject and am not advocating applying sunblock liberallly to your gaskets. Instead I use and recommend 303.

Suz told me that sunblock - as well as bug spray - degrades latex - I have no idea what the science is on this, but it made sense as an explanation given how new the suit was; how much sunblock I use; and the poor state of the gaskets. I do use 303 - but likely not enough. I will plan to apply it early and often when the new suit arrives!

pru

There is reason to believe that "bug spray", especially DEET. DEET acts to harden rubber.

I have had bug stuff eat a hole though a hatch cover. (Don't put open bug stuff down on top of a hatch, it's $$$ to replace the hatch covers). It melts a hole though the hatch fairly quickly.

There is reason to believe that "bug spray", especially DEET. DEET acts to harden rubber.

Which is likely the problem, as you'd prefer the latex to be flexible and pliable. Not stiff and likely to tear. I'll ask my chemist friends for more details.

best

Phil

Just because I'm a science geek, and like to support my conclusions with facts, I looked up the chemistry of latex. It's a branched chain held together by carbon-carbon double bonds. Apparently, zinc (as in zinc oxide) can enhance the activity of Ozone to break those chains, as can certain organic solvents, which probably explains the DEET effect.

DEET is nasty stuff on polymers, avoid contact.

Yes, I've had very good experience with kokatat, and this was even before Suz joined them! Only gets better.

I did have that 'boot filling with water problem' once, but it was out on Mount Desert Island during one of the Labor Day kayak symposia. It was about 90 degrees air temp and I wore a dry suit. I'm assuming that it was just sweat, and I'll tell you....the under garments were *nasty* smelling.

I basically never wear bug spray when I have the suit on (although maybe some residue the next morning). So I'm a bit baffled at the latex breakdown. As I said, Suz said sunblock can cause this. Science geeks and others: any data to support this conclusion?

John - as for the wet feet, I thankfully am able to conclude I don't have disgustingly sweaty feet, because there were leaks in the feet!

pru

Latex is degraded by uv/sunlight, oils, solvents, hydrocarbons; I'm sure that sunblock is basically a body lotion with uv in it, so it would stand to reason that it would be bad for latex.

The gaskets on my first drysuit failed very quickly' I had gotten it on sale, and I think the suit was on display on the showroom floor for a long time (why it was on sale, I presume) , and I think the natural sunlight had aged the gaskets before the suit was even worn. Since then I've hit the Kokatat /Goretex warranty jackpot twice when sending the suit in for gasket replacement, and have gotten new suits. Sometimes, life is just good.

Latex is a natural product that is vulnerable to the elements . It' not a good product for gaskets; there are stronger, more stable & durable materials , but I presume its still used because they just haven't found anything better, nothing performs like it for its intended (high stakes) purpose; conforming to an irregular, fleshy, hairy surface so that it keeps the water out.

I have a lot of latex rubber molds in my workspace: and the material in my experience is just unpredictable: some molds are in pretty good shape over the years , while others , stored in the same room and conditions, have turned into a crumbly goo.

I have had good results storing my drysuit folded up in a cupboard, out of sunlight.

...Apparently, zinc (as in zinc oxide) can enhance the activity of Ozone to break those chains...

I basically never wear bug spray when I have the suit on (although maybe some residue the next morning). So I'm a bit baffled at the latex breakdown. As I said, Suz said sunblock can cause this. Science geeks and others: any data to support this conclusion?...

Zinc oxide, then, as a sunscreen ingredient, must be one culprit.

-Lisa

Some of you may have seen me wearing what looks like a white "hoody" shirt during summer paddles. This is, in fact, two separate pieces consisting of a long sleeve shirt and a buff or cowl that can worn in different configurations. Each piece has an SPF rating (30?) and works very well. The cowl can also be worn over the neck of a drysuit, eliminating the need for sunblock near the neck gasket. Gloves typically eliminate the need for sunblock on the hands, but I know some people just don't like wearing them. I found the SPF shirts are available everywhere, but have only seen the cowl, made by Columbia, at West Marine.

I used bug spray once that completely ruined a watch band of a fairly expensive watch. never could find a replacement band. Hair spray , bug spray and sunscreen will destroy real pearls as well. Pretty scary stuff. I can see why it ruins the gaskets. I have had no problem with the "dry touch" sunscreens to date. may want to try those.