winter kayaking problems

mattgeb84

I'm sure your comment was made in good humor. Therefore, I trust a similar comment that folks should not take heed, let alone be troubled by the crotchety postings of crazy old coots will not offend.

Ed Lawson

Hmm, I just returned from a 20-mile paddling workout and found this wording almost cute. But, as Jason might say, “this is just insulting and not appropriate”. Accordingly, in the spirit of friendship, this oldster challenges you to either a 1. kayak race, 2. swimming race, road bicycle race, 3. wrestling match, 4. weight lifting contest or 5. boxing match. Paraphrasing president Reagon, I will not make age an issue here. However, not to exploit your apparent youth and inexperience, I’ll give you an appropriate handicap for whichever you choose.

<I have heard about his antics of sneaking up on people flipping their boats and holding them upside down to prevent rolling. I think that this will fit the definition of battery>

Jason, with all due respect, paddling with B was <always> huge fun -- not only for his sense of humour; but for his mentoring, his teaching and for his encouraging newer paddlers to push themselves. NEVER have I known any paddler be intimidated by him: he was always sure of his "victims" (if that is how you see them) and always inspirational...oh, neither have I witnessed him holding someone upside down! That sounds unlikely to me.

I suspect the reputation has grown larger-than-life since his departure from hereabouts...

That's all! Am I barking up the wrong tree? Happy New Year, all! ;^)

I don't want this posting to be taken as Bob-bashing, after all I know more than one Bob who deserves no bashing whatsoever. Bob taught in his own particular idiom and left dissatisfied students in his path as any teacher does. It was never his intent to injure or intimidate someone. During "practice sessions" with and without Bob I have seen the surreptitiously capsized boat and the intentional prevention of rolling, also without malice. It would seem appropriate for someone who planned to engage in these practices to check the participants at the put-in to allow them to be left out of the revelry.

i cannot happily use this boat without the rudder, im saving for a better boat that will handle without a rudder but until then this is what im stuck with)

Not to derail the derailment of original question, but please remember the OP's statement as to WHY he paddles with his ruddered kayak. That is part of being helpful/courteous, too.

I'm not sure if it even matters why he paddles with a ruddered boat. There are different levels of paddlers. Matt shouldn't have to explain himself. I think his question is clear.

Not to derail the derailment of original question, but please remember the OP's statement as to WHY he paddles with his ruddered kayak. That is part of being helpful/courteous, too.

sorry to get back on topic here, but you can wash your boat off in the winter if you are lucky enough to have the right setup. i used to have a laundry room sink about 20' in from the garage entrance. a long hose could be hooked up to the sink with very little trouble, and hot water run out to the driveway in front of the garage. (brewing stores sell great gizmos that put hose-threads on your sink spigot, and I'm a home-brewer, so I already had this). a hot shower does wonders for the kayak, the rooftop, and the pfd and such...then the clean wet mess goes into storage in the garage as usual. i know, i know, not everybody has this possibility, but i'm assuming that many folks who do have overlooked it.

(and yes, i never had problems with skeg freezing up once in the water...but i would worry about rudder cables for sure).

Where is the rudder freezing? Is it where the cables enter the kayak or is it the assembly at the back of the kayak? I recall Christopher (Pintail) kept his knife coated in petroleum jelly to prevent rust, I wonder if this would help prevent freezing? It would attract dirt so it might cause more problems than it cures.

Have you tried calling Boreal? Considering they're based in Quebec I assume they have encountered this problem before.

I have no advice if the issue is the cables and rudder assembly are getting coated with ice and frozen to This product might have a good chance of lubricating cables and keeping them lubricated with fewer water/corrosion issues. Made for keeping stuff in working order under harsh, marine environment.

Boeshield T-9

Ed Lawson

• 1 month later...

just revisited this thread which did seem to wander a bit.

After having the good fortune to paddle Thurs in the warm weather, I started to contemplate how I cleaned up the boat last winter after paddling.

The hoses and outside water have long been turned off...

I off loaded the boat and then "washed" it off with...snow.

Same as I did last year. I had forgotten, but sure you can use what we have an abundance of esp. this year.

So while I am always surprised by the number of people who do not clean their boats, for those who do, snow works fine for cleaning the boat off till warmer weather allows for a more thorough washing in the spring.

...actually the snow comes in pretty handy for loading and unloading the kayak... I just back up to a snowbank here at home and slide it right off the car...just need to make sure it's level or off you go kayak chasing ....