Nov 7 Cold Water Paddle

Suz

Scott Camlin and I will be conducting the yearly cold water event this year on Nov. 7. I posted that on the club calendar. This will be a workshop done as a "learning on the go" style paddle as was done for the Spring CAM workshops on the water.

A local shop, Charles River Canoe and Kayak is planning a full day at the boathouse along with a weeknight on cold water paddling.

http://www.paddleboston.com/resources/coldwaterclinics.php

So to avoid repetition and for the sake of shaking things up, Scott and I decided to do a NSPN event but as a paddle.

· Review of cold water physiology and clothing

· Dunk tests

· Rescues and tows (cold water version of last spring)

· Group scenarios

· Warm up practice (on-water and on-shore)

· Indoors debrief (if we can find a place nearby to where we will be paddling.)

Our launch will be planned as we get closer to the event. It will depend on wind/weather conditions. Most likely we will plan this near/on Cape Ann or perhaps Ipswich.

The paddling will be within level 2 guidelines.

Great group of volunteers for this event:

Scott Camlin

Lorrie Allen

Phil Allen

Rick Stoehrer

Jon Kilroy

Me

I would like more volunteers so that we would not need to limit participants but this will get us started.

If you are interested in using a drysuit for the day, I will bring my demo suits. They will be available on a first come/first serve basis. When rsvp'ing let me know if you are hoping to use a drysuit and what size you think you are:

http://www.kokatat.com/sizing_mens.asp

http://www.kokatat.com/sizing_womens.asp

If planning to use a drysuit, please bring fleece to wear underneath, wool/fleece socks and closed shoes that can be worn OVER the drysuit sock and your socks.

Please bring any gloves/hoods/hats/shoes that you have that are extra so that if someone else is missing an article of clothing, they can borrow.

RSVP - suzanne dot hutchinson at comcast dot net

Please include CWP in the subject line.

Suz

• 3 weeks later...

Update - 5 participants have signed up fro the event and I have a really great group of volunteers that will be helping and participating during the event.

Updated volunteer list:

Scott Camlin

Lorrie Allen

Phil Allen

Rick Stoehrer

Jon Kilroy

Jason Kates

Sal Pugilisi

Rob Hazard

Ernie Meunier

Me

(let me know if I have missed anyone)

In addition to the NSPN cold water paddle, here are the cold water workshops that I am doing in New England. Attending a cold water workshop AND attending the cold water paddle will give you information to make the decision to paddle in the cold water season and will really help to prepare the more seasoned paddler for the upcoming cold water paddling season.

Connecticut - Wed Oct 20 - North Cove - http://www.northcove.com/events.html - this is at night at the shop and we won't be getting wet.

These three are full day events that involve discussion, hands on learning and paddling:

Freeport, Maine - Oct 23 - Lincoln Canoe and Kayak - http://www.lincolncanoe.com/index.html

Newton, MA - Oct 24 - Charles River Canoe and Kayak http://www.paddleboston.com/resources/coldwaterclinics.php

Kennebunkport, Maine -Nov 6- Coastal Maine Kayak- http://www.coastalmainekayak.com/

If you are interested in attending any of these, contact the organizers at the shop or for the club paddle, contact me directly as indicated in first post. If it isn't too full, non members will be able to attend.

Feel free to contact me directly with questions or post your questions here.

Suz

For people newer to cold water paddling, I would highly recommend these sessions. I just attended Suz' talk-workshop at CRCK a few weeks ago and found it really helpful. I bought a dry suit (15% off - not bad!) and immediately headed for Maine, where armed with proper gear and some knew knowledge, felt a lot more comfortable out in the nippy water than I would have otherwise.

Look forward to learning/experiencing more!

prudence

Similar to Prudence above, I am new to cold water paddling (or any paddling for that matter) and I also attended Suz' workshop on Cold Water Apparel at CRCK. Suz gave me a "boat load" of info and helped me carve at least two years off my learning curve. I have my new dry suit ready now for the October 24 session at CRCK. Yes Suz, the beeswax works like a charm!

Warren

P.S. Tentative arrival of my NDK Romany 50/50 layup is Christmas! Yahoo Santa!

Hi Suz,

I posted the workshop on the Wild Turkeys site and extended an invitation for them to join us as well, with your contact info, so if you hear from folks south of Boston that's likely where they are coming from.

Lorrie

I have this on my calendar. Hope tu make it there.

Please be sure to e-mail me if you are planning on joining us for this paddle. The launch location and all details will be e-mailed to all participants who RSVP.

See original post for RSVP directions.

Suz

• 2 weeks later...
Please be sure to e-mail me if you are planning on joining us for this paddle. The launch location and all details will be e-mailed to all participants who RSVP.

See original post for RSVP directions.

Suz

UPDATE:

On Wednesday night, I will be sending an e-mail to all participants and to all assistants. I will be asking for RSVP details: http://www.nspn.org/how_to_sign_up.htm (I will need all attendees-both participants and assistants to RSVP)

1) Your Name;

2) a description of your boat (color, length, make);

3) an emergency contact for the day of the trip (name and phone#);

4) a way for the Trip Initiator to contact you in the 36 hours before the trip (email and telephone)

5) if the Trip Initiator does not already know you, include your "paddling resume", i.e., a brief description of your paddling experience. This can include recent NSPN trips you have been on, members you regularly paddle with, classes taken, practice sessions attended, assessments completed, etc. It need not be more than a few sentences. This is especially important for this session.

I will be notifying all in the e-mail where we will be planning to launch from and will provide meeting time and suggestions on what to bring to wear.

After this e-mail gets sent, it will be too late to register for this paddle. So, no last minute attendees will be participating. This is because I would like all participants to have the time to properly prepare for this with adequate clothing and appropriate gear.

As of this morning I have the following people registered to participate: Note that you must be able to do a wet exit and that your boat must be properly outfitted with a skirt, perimeter decklines and forward and aft bulkheads OR attached forward and aft floatbags.

Kevin Fredette- drysuit requested

Sherry Smith - drysuit requested

Katharine Ryan - drysuit requested

Barry - has own drysuit

Warren Parlee - has own drysuit

Prudence Baxter- has own drysuit

People volunteered to assist:

Rick Stoehrer

Lorrie Allen

Phil Allen

Sal Puglisi

Jason Kates

Scott Camlin

Jon Kilroy

Ernie Meunier

Rob Hazard

Peter Brady has added his name to the volunteer list.

Kevin Fredette- drysuit requested

Sherry Smith - drysuit requested

Katharine Ryan - drysuit requested

Barry - has own drysuit

Warren Parlee - has own drysuit

Prudence Baxter- has own drysuit

People volunteered to assist:

Rick Stoehrer

Lorrie Allen

Phil Allen

Sal Puglisi

Jason Kates

Scott Camlin

Jon Kilroy

Ernie Meunier

Rob Hazard

Suz,

I am planning to participate in your November 6, 2011 session at Coastal Maine Kayak in Kennebunk, Maine from 10:00 to 3:00PM. I contacted Coastal and registered for that session. I was not planning to join you for the November 7, 2011 paddle since I do not yet have a kayak. I will look forward to joining you on a similar paddle next year. Thank you for thinking of me!

Warren

Suz,

I am planning to participate in your November 6, 2011 session at Coastal Maine Kayak in Kennebunk, Maine from 10:00 to 3:00PM. I contacted Coastal and registered for that session. I was not planning to join you for the November 7, 2011 paddle since I do not yet have a kayak. I will look forward to joining you on a similar paddle next year. Thank you for thinking of me!

Warren

Warren,

If I attend on Sunday (back problems), I can possibly bring a spare kayak (Impex Force Cat 5) for you to use. Has custom bulkhead set for 31-33" inseam. Check with me much later in the week.

Ern

Warren,

If I attend on Sunday (back problems), I can possibly bring a spare kayak (Impex Force Cat 5) for you to use. Has custom bulkhead set for 31-33" inseam. Check with me much later in the week.

Ern

Hey Ern,

Thank you very much for thinking of me. My 32/33" inseam and my size 13 feet makes it difficult to find a good fit. The Romany on order has a 35" bulkhead placement with final foam to fit. Your spare kayak might fit, but I do understand back problems. I know some day I will have a chance to paddle with many NSPN members.

Thank you again!

Warren

Calling all volunteers and participants:

I will be sending a EMAIL to all participants and volunteers on Wed night with details included. In order to do that, I will need to have e-mail addresses for all the volunteers and also from people that would like to participate. If you have already reserved and sent an e-mail no need to resend.

But if you have responded via PM or via this thread and have not communicated to me via e-mail, can you e-mail me at suzanne.hutchinson@comcast.net

Put in subject line: CWP - volunteer

Thanks,

Suz