Mayor's Cup

lhunt

Click here for real-time comments. They also might post "near real time" videos, hopefully of the start and maybe finish(?) Though I guess most of the coverage is of the surf skis, of course. Race starts around 12:15, I think.

Good luck Leon!

-Lisa

Thanks Lisa,

Finally, the 2010 NYC Mayor's Cup results just came in. I placed 7th (5:04:11) in the men's fast sea kayak class (FSK) -- 8th if you count my nemesis, Ms. Fiona Cousins. No excuses, but I would have done better in a more stable boat. I'm still not used to the fast and tippy Epic 18X. Also, I had some mechanical and physical problems (couldn't reach the outer edges of the steering toe bar because two hydrators were in my way and a big bleeding blister formed on my left palm). Strangely, I beat Roger Gocking (5:06:51), the reigning champ for almost every race on the East Coast (Blackburn, Mayor's, Lighthouse, etc.). I assume he had the same tippy 18X problems that I had bouncing through the Hell Gate region of the Harlem/East rivers.

Thanks Lisa,

Finally, the 2010 NYC Mayor's Cup results just came in. I placed 7th (5:04:11) in the men's fast sea kayak class (FSK) -- 8th if you count my nemesis, Ms. Fiona Cousins. No excuses, but I would have done better in a more stable boat. I'm still not used to the fast and tippy Epic 18X. Also, I had some mechanical and physical problems (couldn't reach the outer edges of the steering toe bar because two hydrators were in my way and a big bleeding blister formed on my left palm). Strangely, I beat Roger Gocking (5:06:51), the reigning champ for almost every race on the East Coast (Blackburn, Mayor's, Lighthouse, etc.). I assume he had the same tippy 18X problems that I had bouncing through the Hell Gate region of the Harlem/East rivers.

I paddled with John & Fiona at Poham Sunday, Fiona wasn't happy with her race as her rudder cable broke with 8 miles left in the race.

I paddled with John & Fiona at Poham Sunday, Fiona wasn't happy with her race as her rudder cable broke with 8 miles left in the race.

Yet she still managed to beat the inimitable...umm...nevermind.

Fiona beat me by 7 minutes in the Blackburn of 2009 (she in her Nemo and me in my slower Seda Impulse). For this year's Mayor's Cup, I used an Epic 18X (at least as fast as the Nemo). I was hoping to at least tie the great Fiona. As planned, I kept up with her and a Marlin (a Nemo with a larger cockpit) until we reached the heavy bounce of Hell Gate ... the Epic 18X is much tippier than the Nemo/Marlin and I had lots of trouble both paddling and bracing in the rough stuff. Sans this problem (and my own steering problems) I think I could have tied Fiona (maybe not, she sure is fast).

Note to self: Practice more (with the 18X) in the heavy stuff. Also, store hydrators behind the seat (not between my legs where they interfere with my steering).

Since Leon borrowed my GPS (for emergencies) and has now returned it, I can't resist posting his track to prove he was really there. There is a missing piece in the beginning because he was late turning the gadget on.

-Lisa

Proves nothing! I could have thrown it to Fiona and she then turned it on.