Lake Practace Sessions

nancysan

I was just wondering if there will be lake practice sessions hosted by NSPN members this year? I don't see any on the calendar yet.

Thanks,

Nancy

I won't be hosting Great Pond in Kingston, NH on Tuesday's this year as I'm out of town every week Mon-Thurs. I think some others may do some impromptu sessions there or at Pawtuckaway Lake. I may do a few friday night skills at Great Pond if there is any interest.

I won't be hosting Great Pond in Kingston, NH on Tuesday's this year as I'm out of town every week Mon-Thurs. I think some others may do some impromptu sessions there or at Pawtuckaway Lake. I may do a few friday night skills at Great Pond if there is any interest.

Nancy,

I would expect lake/skills sessions to start appearing on the calendar pretty soon. They usually get underway in June, maybe as early as mid-late May. I

In addition to sessions at Salem , there will most likely be sessions at Chebacco Lake in Manchester/Essex (traditionally, Thursdays) , the NH sessions Cathy mentioned, and at Lake Gardner in Amesbury. We've had sessions at Mystic Lake in Medford for many years , but currently the parking area is all dug up, so we'll have to see how that goes.

A pleasing development of the past couple of years is that, mixed in with lake practice , there are now more options for practice in the ocean. Kevin & Gillian's sessions are in Salem Sound , and the Cathy's Kingston/Great Pond sessions started running every other week in Seabrook Harbor: both are great spots for getting an introduction to paddling in the ocean , or just having fun if salt water is more your preference.

I know where I'll be at least one or two summer nights a week, some time around 5:30 or 6 Pm, and it won't be in the office....

There is one thing I often think about as we paddle or practice in different ponds or lakes..the need to clean our boats (and our gear) so we don't transport invasives from place to place.

That is one vote for ocean practice.

Sometimes if I (and maybe others) paddle on a pond then the next time I'll paddle in salt water. I'm thinking not everybody has a good place to wash their boats, so we might want to keep that in mind as a possibility for our paddling habits.

There is one thing I often think about as we paddle or practice in different ponds or lakes..the need to clean our boats (and our gear) so we don't transport invasives from place to place.

That is one vote for ocean practice.

Sometimes if I (and maybe others) paddle on a pond then the next time I'll paddle in salt water. I'm thinking not everybody has a good place to wash their boats, so we might want to keep that in mind as a possibility for our paddling habits.

Spider, Isn't the main risk with spreading invasives found in transporting boats from one body of fresh water to another? Is transporting from fresh to salt, or salt to fresh, a problem ?

The Thursday evening Chebacco Lake sessions will begin on May 20.

We usually launch about 5 PM and paddle until sunset.

This early in the season drysuits are highly recommended.

The sessions are pretty free-form, varying from silly skill-developing games to rescue and rolling practice.

Beginners are welcome, in fact they are actively encouraged! Come join us!

Yes your right, so the thinking is the salt water kills off the fresh water invasives.

I wash the boats after each paddle, either way. After paddling someplace like Pawtuckaway though I still prefer to paddle the ocean next time out.