We need a little help with kayak choice

Grajan

Hello all,

We have just moved to the Portsmouth area and are pleased to find a group of enthusiastic sea kayakers. We are looking forward to paddling with you some time. Right now we could do with some kayak selection advice.

My wife Janaki is a confident paddler with a good stroke, a good roll and some multi-day tripping experience but she has some trouble with pace. She is currently paddling a Poly Valley Avocet. Apart from the fact that it is poly, a little too short and a little too wide, we think the main problem is it keeps her legs too straight, impeding rotation and edging.

She is currently looking at a Valley Nordkapp (it is on the big side but the LV had the same straight leg problem as the Avocet) or possible an NDK Explorer although she has not yet managed to try one.

We are interested in anyone who has experience of both boats and can compare them as well as any other recommendations.

Thanks for any help.

Graham

Might want to have her take a look at the Impex Force Cat3. Quick boat and handles well. Lots of choices out there... do lots of demos!

Might want to have her take a look at the Impex Force Cat3. Quick boat and handles well. Lots of choices out there... do lots of demos!

You might demo a P&H Cetus LV too.

Graham:

The Avocet is a fine boat and, depending on your wife's size, should be OK for most club paddles. Yes, it can be a bit slower than a longer boat, but not much. Under 4 KTS (which would be considered a fast pace for a club trip), there is very little difference in hull resistance between a 16 foot and a 17-1/2 foot boat, other design factors being equal. At and above 4 KTS, the longer hulls are faster. As for being poly, the experts say the difference compared with glass boats is small, on the order of 3-4%.

Not sure what you mean by straight legs and how it affects rotation and edging. I'm 6'-2", and my plastic Avocet allows plenty of rotation and edging. I can raise my knees so they are in contact with the thigh braces which is exactly what you need (in addition to hip fitting) for edging control. As for rotation, if anything her legs should alternately straighten on the side of the stroke, if at all. My only problem with the Avocet is fitting my feet under the low deck: I have to splay my toes to the outside with my heels together. This does not affect rotation or edging; rather, after a couple of hours, pressure on the foot pegs cause my knees to hurt a lot due to the fact that my knees are not aligned properly.

The Nordkapp is a fine boat but is considered an advanced design because it has relatively low initial stability (tippy on flat water) and hard tracking (hard to turn) due to relatively low rocker. With practice and good technique (edging on turns), a skilled paddler can do fine with it, but it is a challenge so she should definitely try it out. I've personally only test paddled the Nordkapp, so others who've owned them will have more hands on experience to report.

Note that several models of the Nordkapp have been produced over the years, at least three generations that I am aware of: original (narrow, hard tracking with ocean cockpit), Jubilee (fuller in chines, bit more rocker I think, keyhole cockpit); and the current model called the Classic (retained some of the rocker but back to the ocean cockpit). They have also had two stern designs: the standard hull (the old HS) and the integral skeg (the old HM). If you want a new Nordkapp with a keyhole cockpit, youre only choice is the poly version.

http://www.valleyseakayaks.com/nordkappclassic.htm

The NDK Explorer is designed for similar use (expedition/camping and rough water) but the hull design is different. The chines are more square and the bottom a modified V hull which gives it much more initial stability and very solid secondary stability (on the edge). It is known as a very secure rough water boat often recommended for new paddlers: it's a boat to start with and hard to outgrow. It had a reputation for uneven quality a number of years ago, but build quality seems to have been fixed the past several years (only an issue if you are buying a used boat). Explorers are among the most rugged boats on the water but are on the heavy side with stiff layups and thick gelcoat. You should be aware NDK makes an Elite version of the boat (about 8-10 lbs. lighter) by using considerably less gelcoat. Elite layups are not common in the US but at least one member of NSPN owns one.

http://seakayakuk.com/index.php/The-Sea-Kayaks/

Since both boats are quite differnet in feel from the Avocet, your wife should definitely spend at least a day in any boat she is considering. Finding a Nordkapp may be a bit tricky as they are no longer common; post here and you're likely to get someone to loan you one. The nearest dealer is NE Small Craft in Rowley, MA. but they do not show Nordkapps in stock on their website. The US distributor is the Kayak Center in Wickford, RI that shows a few used composite Nordkapps; the only new Nordkapps are plastic. Tom Bergh at Maine Island Kayak Company (MIKCO) in Portland, ME has at least one used Nordkapp Jubilee listed on the MICKO website at a good price.

There are plenty of Explorers in the club and people will be glad to let you try it out if you post. Or you can demo a boat at a dealer. A lot of Explorers in NSPN came from MIKCO; Tom Bergh is one of the best around at fitting you in your boat, so if that is a concern he can take care of you. He is stocks a large number of new Explorers (currently on sale) and a couple of used ones as well. The other big dealer in the area is the Kayak Center in Wickford but the website shows only a couple of Explorers in stock.

If you want to consider other boats of the Nordkapp/Explorer type, some good models to consider are: Valley Aquanaut (17.5' version of the Avocet), the P&H Capella series and the Impex Force series. All are common in the club so you should find it easy to borrow one for a test paddle.

Your wife was concerned about pace. The Explorer has average or slightly less speed for it's length; the Nordkapp is somewhat above average speed for it's length and definitely faster than the Explorer. However, they are not all that much quicker than the Avocet which is really a fast boat for it's length. Again, at club speeds (typically 3 KTS), hull length just does not make that much difference. In fact, the Valley Avocet/Aquanaut hull is a very efficient at any speed.

Paddling technique and paddle length are much more important for boat speed than hull length. Proper rotation and blade entry/exit make a big difference as your wife understands if she is worried about rotation. And many paddlers who struggle with pace when using a paddle of 220-230 cm find an significant improvement when they switch to 215 or 210 cm paddles. Why? More leverage.

Good luck.

Scott

"If you want a new Nordkapp with a keyhole cockpit, your only choice is the poly version."

Actually there are currently five versions of the Nordkapp according to the Valley web-site. Nordkapp Enthusiast (poly), the Classic with rockered hull or straight with built in internal skeg: both Classics have the ocean cockpit. Contemporary British Nordkapp with rockered hull and keyhole cockpit and lastly the Nordkapp LV whose hull design is similar to the previous. A few years ago the Nordkapp was tweaked with better stability for unloaded travel and with excellent maneuverability because of the rockered hull. This was called the Nordkapp H2o. I believe the Contemporary British Nordkapp is this same boat. I demoed it on flat water and it's stability curve is similar and even a bit steeper than the LV. Seakayaker magazine seems to agree since they reviewed them both.

How tall is your wife and in what range would her weight be? This will affect the performance of anything she tries out and will eventually buy. I get the sense that she may be small as you said the AvocetRM is too wide for her and the RM tends to run a bit smaller than the glass version.

I paddle a RomanyLV and an ExplorerLV. I find that the designs of both boats work very well for me and my particular build. My husband paddles both a glass Avocet and a Pintail, both which fit him fine (and which he loves; we call him Valley Boy) but both are a little big for me.

If your wife is a smaller woman, you might want to take into consideration her size vs the bulk of the boat she will be moving through the water. I found that I can make my RomanyLV, a boat definitely built for rocks and surf but not necessarily for the Indy500, move because I'm pushing less mass through the water. I rarely paddle my ExplorerLV (which may be on the market soon as she's sitting forlorn in our basement) as I find it's easier for me to propel 16' than 17'6". I should note here that I'm also known as Turtle Woman, but after a number of forward stroke classes plus having a boat that fits, I can keep up much better than I used to. Besides, speed, unless you race or you really need to put on the MPH to get out of the way of speeding watercraft or outrun a potential storm, is relative in kayaking to the group you are with. Tooling along at 3K per hour is acceptable, as most have mentioned.

Given that we're presuming Janika is on the smaller side, any of the boats mentioned above would work for her. Valley, which, in my personal opinion makes the most beautiful designs, released the AvocetLV last year. P&H's CetusLV is due out shortly. A P&H Capella161 might also work.

As everyone else has stressed, she really needs to demo, demo, demo any prospective boat. What fits me or what boats I or any number of other people love or recommend highly, may not work for her at all.

As Scott said, too, paddle length does make a difference. I use a Werner Cyprus 205, a carbon fiber paddle, and I've been told I could go down to a 200.

Tom Bergh is one of the best for boat outfitting and advice and carries Explorers. Kayak Centre in Wickford, RI is the distributor for Valley and Joel Thomas at New England Small Craft in Rowley is the dealer. Another Valley dealer has opened up in Kennebunk, ME; they posted on NSPN recently under the Commercial section of the Message Board. As NESC is no longer a P&H dealer, the closest one I'd recommend for knowledgeable fitting is Osprey Sea Kayak in Westport, MA or Sea Cliff Kayakers in Boothbay, ME. Kittery Trading Post also carries P&H but I don't know what they have for demos as far as the Capella 161 goes or the soon-to-be-released CetusLV. I do know Osprey and Sea Cliff have what you might want to try. A number of smaller women I know love the Impex Force series but the Force3 doesn't fit me -- proof again that you really have to try everything and preferably in the conditions you'll be paddling the kayak in the most frequently.

Hope this helps. Again, demo, demo, demo.

Deb M :surfcool::roll:

For the record I'm 5'5" and considered to be small, although I frequently feel otherwise, especially coming into paddling season after too many mac 'n' cheese winter suppers.

Janaki here:

Thanks to all for your input on my behalf. As Graham mentioned, I am feeling a little cramped in my Avocet especially with no room for my knees to be bent outwards. This straight leg position makes edging and rotation more difficult. When I demoed a Nordkapp standard and a Nordkapp LV last weekend I felt much more comfortable in my stroke and rotation, although the LV was just as cramped in the legs and the standard felt a bit high volume. I am not small at 5' 8" and 145lbs so I'm looking for a boat that has a slightly higher front deck than the Avocet so that I can bend my knees out, but isn't a bathtub. I would also like to find a longer and slimmer boat for more speed over long paddles.

I will be trying a Impex Force 4 this weekend. Maybe a Force 3 would be a better fit but I don't think Kittery Trading Post have one in stock. If anyone has a Force 3 I could try out I would be very grateful.

Deb, my paddle is a Cyprus 215, which I love, so I guess I'm a larger build than you with your 205.

Janaki

My wife Janaki is a confident paddler with a good stroke, a good roll and some multi-day tripping experience but she has some trouble with pace. She is currently paddling a Poly Valley Avocet. Apart from the fact that it is poly, a little too short and a little too wide, we think the main problem is it keeps her legs too straight, impeding rotation and edging.

Graham:

Like everyone who provides advice on these topics, I have my set of biases and prejudices.

I do not know what the pace is she cannot maintain and why it is felt necessary to maintain a higher pace. With regard to torso rotation and edging issues, I would not assume a different boat will make those issues go away and cannot imagine the Avocet hindering either, but without seeing her paddle nobody can have a clue about that issue. My suggestion is seek some advice from a coach to see if the boat is playing a role. At 5' 10" and 175# I thought the poly Avocet was a nice fit, comfy to paddle, efficient, and easy to paddle at the speed of any group paddle I was on. I liked the boat a great deal and have heard the Avocet LV is a great small person boat. FWIW, I thought the Nordcapp LV was a pretty big boat when I demo paddled one.

People have mentioned a variety of good boats and there are others which are supposedly designed to work well for women. Obviously I have no way to judge that. Without knowing her size, strength and fitness as well as what she likes to do on paddles, I have no clue what type of boat she might like so I will speak only to the speed and fit issues.

When considering a boat and thinking about looking for one that is faster, I think there is a great deal of nonsense said about longer = faster, etc. It is generally true that if two kayaks have similar shaped hulls the one with the longer waterline can likely be paddled faster if the paddler can develop the power needed to propel the boat faster. However, just because a boat is 18' long does not mean it has a longer waterline than a shorter boat, does not mean its hull shape generates bow and stern waves as advantageously for speed, does not mean it is an efficient hull and likely means it has more frictional resistance which means it will require more effort to paddle at normal speeds. In other words a small paddler may well find they can paddle a shorter boat faster than a longer boat. For example, a Rumor is under 16' and is a rocket ship for a small padler as aresome other short boats. Having said all that, the differences among nearly all boats in terms of force required to move them around 3Kts is small and on most club paddles the typical paddler, like me, is a at least middle aged, semi fit weekend warrior for whom paddling at much over 3Kts is fast enough. So dragging around a boat with a high potential speed when you don't have a ability to generate the necessary power to do so nor is there often any need to go fast anyway is really quite illogical.

Having watched my wife try to find a boat that actually fits and works for a small person, my opinion is very few boats out there are designed for small paddlers as in less than 140#. Some boats like the LV NDK boats are designed to provide a cockpit that fits a smaller paddler, but the hull in the water is the hull designed for a heavier person so its not really a small person's boat. The P&H and Valley LV versions are different designs so not only the cockpit, but the hull as well is designed for a lighter person. Even then, the designers may define a 150# person as a smaller paddler and the LV whatever may be designed to work best with a 150# person and a week's worth of gear. Such a boat might be too "corky" and have windage problems for a smaller person with a day kit. Some boats work well with a wide range of weight and some do not. Which brings me to the last point.

To know how a boat works and if it works for you, you need to spend a good deal of time paddling it in a variety of conditions. The typical "demo day" situation is basically worthless for learning about a boat beyond the basics such as does it provide a decent fit in the cockpit. So try to find a dealer who will let you take a boat in harm's way for a day or two once you have selected a short list.

Which is a long way of saying what Carl said. Demo, demo, demo.

Ed Lawson

Janaki-

It's a bit of a drive for you, but I'd bet money that Charles river canoe and kayak in Newton MA would have a force 3 in demo/rental and they're right on the water (flat). Also, if you'd like a higher front deck for a more knees up position, try the Capella (p&h) series.

Phil

I am not small at 5' 8" and 145lbs so I'm looking for a boat that has a slightly higher front deck

I think most manufacturers consider a person your size as a smallish paddler so you might keep that in mind when reading their descriptions. If you like to have your knees up when paddling, then the P&H boats should be checked out as a high foredeck is one of their traits. I have a sense you might like a "performance" boat so you might want to try a Vela and Baihya along with the Cetus and Scorpio LVs.

Ed Lawson

Hi Janaki and Graham,

Welcome to the NH seacoast. My wife and I actually paddle a lot from your back yard (Goat Isl).

We have a couple boats that you can try out for a day:

Mauntauk although I think you'll find that similar to your Avocet.

Nordkapp LV: A great boat that I plan to abscond with as soon as my wife gets her hands on a Cetus LV. I am 6'-3" and I fit in that boat and can't wait to use it as a play boat.

NDK Romany Surf: A Romany with more room for knees and a tad more displacement aft.

Looking forward to paddling with you soon, Jon

Tried out a Force Cat 3 tonight, thanks - Gail and Ed - fit like a very expensive shoe and felt great, so even though it's 2 inches lower on the front deck than the Avocet, if proves you can't just go by the numbers.

I may have found my boat.

thanks again to everyone for the input.

Janaki

Tried out a Force Cat 3 tonight, thanks - Gail and Ed - fit like a very expensive shoe and felt great, so even though it's 2 inches lower on the front deck than the Avocet, if proves you can't just go by the numbers.

Janaki

The Force 3 comes highly recommended. Its got very little rocker and is good for making headway and covering miles , especially in wind. Assuming that the Force boats (3,4 & 5) share some characteristics: one time I demo'd a Force 4 , and it happened to be gusting to 20 knots, and I was impressed with how well it held its course.( by comparison, I turned around and demo's another boat and it was blown all over the place) More of your energy can then go into the forward stroke ., with less energy bled off on corrective strokes.

However, the boat still edges well, and when on edge can then be made more maneuverable than one would normally think for a boat with as little rocker . I did a training with someone in a raging tidal race; he was paddling a Force 4 , was edging the boat this way and that , and he made that boat dance!

Janaki

Of course I am coming into this a little late AND I am biased:) but I will say, don't decide until you have tried the P&H Capella 161 and in a few short weeks time the brand new Cetus LV. I am definitely at the top end for that weight wise but it looks like it will be maneuverable and fast (based on hull shape).

Another local place to try Valley, NDK and P&H all in one place is at Contoocook Canoe and Kayak in Concord, NH. They have an upcoming demo day on May 17. If the Cetus LV makes her way north by then, I will have her there for demo.

I will be there for both Kokatat and P&H.

Suz

Janaki

I have a Force Cat 3. I am 5'2 and weigh about 105 lbs--I still have to pad the Force 3 b/c it is a little too big in the cockpit for me--So if you want to try my boat we can make an arrangement

I love the Force 3--I have had it for over a year and it is fast and handles well in most conditions--but I think that Suz makes some valid points about the new P&H "smaller paddler" boat coming down the pike--it sounds like a mighty attractive boat for smaller paddlers. So you may want to check out both boats before you finally decide, just to be sure.

Les

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all,

We have just moved to the Portsmouth area and are pleased to find a group of enthusiastic sea kayakers. We are looking forward to paddling with you some time. Right now we could do with some kayak selection advice.

She is currently looking at a Valley Nordkapp (it is on the big side but the LV had the same straight leg problem as the Avocet) or possible an NDK Explorer although she has not yet managed to try one.

We are interested in anyone who has experience of both boats and can compare them as well as any other recommendations.

Thanks for any help.

Graham

Hi, I've demo'ed both of those boats, (actually all three, the Nordkapp standard and LV), and ended up buying the Nordkapp LV. To me, both Nordkapps seemed a bit faster and sportier than the Explorer, although it's a fine boat too. The LV fit me best so I got that one. Which ever one you get, make sure it is custom outfitted w/ foam etc. so that she gets a good grip with her knees, and can brace her feet properly, otherwise you can't paddle efficiently. One thing she might think about too is her paddle; I'm a 51 year old sort-of-athletic but by-no-means-buffed woman, and I've had some trouble keeping up with younger/faster paddlers at times, what helped me the most was getting a Greenland style paddle! It takes a little getting used to, but then it really is a lot less work for the same amount of speed = a lot less tired. Also it's way better in the wind than any other paddle. Or, if the Greenland feels too weird maybe just a lighter conventional paddle, or even a wing paddle! I think the right paddle matters as much as the right boat...

Janaki here:

Thanks to all for your input on my behalf. As Graham mentioned, I am feeling a little cramped in my Avocet especially with no room for my knees to be bent outwards. This straight leg position makes edging and rotation more difficult.

Glad you like the Force Cat 3 -- good boat. Whatever you get, consider keeping the Avocet as it's a great play and training boat -- good in surf, current, etc., and nice to have a plastic boat for rock gardening. It's also one of the easiest rolling boats this side of Greenland.

Your problem with fit in the Avocet is a bit unusual. I am 5'8" like you, and find the roto Avocet fit quite satisfactory and have no problem with rotation or edging. My wife is also 5'8" and finds it fine too. (It's a 2003 model -- I think the internal outfitting may have changed in later years). Try playing with the footpegs at different settings, and different knee positions. Of course, if it doesn't feel right, that's the bottom line... everybody's anatomy is different.

Janaki here:

Thanks to all for your input on my behalf. As Graham mentioned, I am feeling a little cramped in my Avocet especially with no room for my knees to be bent outwards. This straight leg position makes edging and rotation more difficult. When I demoed a Nordkapp standard and a Nordkapp LV last weekend I felt much more comfortable in my stroke and rotation, although the LV was just as cramped in the legs and the standard felt a bit high volume. I am not small at 5' 8" and 145lbs so I'm looking for a boat that has a slightly higher front deck than the Avocet so that I can bend my knees out, but isn't a bathtub. I would also like to find a longer and slimmer boat for more speed over long paddles.

I will be trying a Impex Force 4 this weekend. Maybe a Force 3 would be a better fit but I don't think Kittery Trading Post have one in stock. If anyone has a Force 3 I could try out I would be very grateful.

Deb, my paddle is a Cyprus 215, which I love, so I guess I'm a larger build than you with your 205.

Janaki

Hi Janaki, I paddle a composite Avocet and a Force 3 is to small for me. The Fource 4 is a great boat, though I would recommend the Nordkapp. Well theres my 2 cents ($3.50 with the coming inflation).

Chuck

It is probably a difficult boat model to find in stock, but the boat I just got might be the perfect choice for your size and want list . . .the Valley Aquanaut LV. I'm a guy, but about the same dimensions, and there is deifnitely adequate cockpit room. This boat is certainly sleeker and faster than the Avocet but at 17-1 instead of 17-7 of the regular Aquanaut, more manueverable and turns fine. It probably shares the regular Aquanaut's traits of handling messy conditions fine, faster than an Explorer, and offers the same Valley quality you are used to. A Valley dealer should be able to order one for you. For me, this one won out over the Tempest, Explorer, Chatham, and Force series.

Hi Janaki and Graham,

could you please email me at drkglad@gmail.com?

I met you and your wife at the recent MITA meeting and she and I were talking about the Force 3 and Force 3 HV.

Thanks,

Karen

It is probably a difficult boat model to find in stock, but the boat I just got might be the perfect choice for your size and want list . . .the Valley Aquanaut LV. I'm a guy, but about the same dimensions, and there is deifnitely adequate cockpit room. This boat is certainly sleeker and faster than the Avocet but at 17-1 instead of 17-7 of the regular Aquanaut, more manueverable and turns fine. It probably shares the regular Aquanaut's traits of handling messy conditions fine, faster than an Explorer, and offers the same Valley quality you are used to. A Valley dealer should be able to order one for you. For me, this one won out over the Tempest, Explorer, Chatham, and Force series.

Ahh I was waiting for someone to suggest the Aquanaut. I love my Aquanaut Pro Kev.

I also paddle an Avocet RM "Poly"

I find the Aquanaut has a little more room in deck height and slightly narrower in the beam. The Aquanaut is also much faster due apparently to length and hull design. Next time your paddling with us NE Seacoast Paddlers your welcome to give it a try. I'll be at Massabesic tonight and Pawtuckaway on Saturday.

Aquanaut Composite - LENGTH 17'7" WIDTH 21.5" DEPTH 13.5"

Avocet RM - LENGTH 16' WIDTH 22" DEPTH 13"

Neil

I guess the search is never ending and "different boats for different strokes" (to completely distort a popular expression) but I have ordered a Cat 3 HV which should be here in a few weeks. Borrowed one from Charles River Kayaks for the overnight trip to Jewell Island and I was very comfortable paddling it. Still not super efficient into the 15 kt headwind but I think I have other issues there besides the boat.

I like the idea of the Greenland paddle, we were already considering them as spares after Peter's demo tossing away his paddle, and rolling by retrieving the Greenland spare from his foredeck. that makes so much sense. If it helps reduce fatigue while paddling then it may well become my primary paddle. I do have a light weight Werner Cyprus now and I'm conscious of it against the wind especially on a day like last Saturday.

I must add that I haven't had so much fun with my plastic Avocet as last Tuesday evening in the surf when I first really appreciated its maneuverability and robustness. Definitely going to keep it.

Janaki