New Harbor Island Book included photos of a couple NSPNers

harborislandscover.jpg

At the end of last year the Wild Turkey Paddlers were asked to do an email interview about kayaking in Boston Harbor for a book that was being written by travel writer Christopher Klein titled Discovering the Boston Harbor Islands – A Guide to the City’s hidden Shores. I volunteered to do the interview and asked Chip Hebert for some help with the details on how the Wild Turkey’s first got started. From our answers, the editor put together a one page piece called Kayaking in Boston Harbor that can be found on page 179 of the book. The write up includes information about the Wild Turkeys and how people can get involved.

In addition to the write up, they also used a number of my photos, some with people but only identifiable by those who know the people in the photos. Of the photos they selected they chose a couple from my first trip to the Graves that happened to be with the NSPN folks. The photo on page 179 below the write up has a couple of kayakers in front of the Graves and on page 167 you can make out Bob Budd, Jason Kates, and Walter Meers atop Outer Brewster. Other photos include Hangman’s Island and Boston Light’s Fresnel lens.

It was a lot of fun participating in the creation of this book and has been even more fun reading the history of the islands. I highly recommend anyone who paddles these islands should pick up a copy (or even if you don’t paddle it’s a very interesting read and would make a great gift…. and no, I’m not making any commission on the sales).

We paddle these islands all the time but how much do we actually know about them? There’s ton’s of history that goes back to before our independence. Just for fun… here’s a short quiz, let’s see how much you know (or can guess):

1. Which was the only island to have a song written about it?

2. Just a month after the battles of Lexington and Concord, British troops set out for this island to seize cattle, vegetables and hay, causing a major alarm in the surrounding towns which resulted in gun fire.

3. Ten thousand dollars was awarded the aviator who could make the fastest time for two nonstop laps from the Squantum Airfield to this island.

4. In WWII after the fall of Mussolini 1000 Italian prisoners of war were moved to this island and were treated very leniently because they no longer posed a threat. This lenient treatment was later used against us with regard to the treatment of the prisoners being held in Guantanamo Bay.

5. Because of the many shipwrecks on this island the very first “hut of refuge” was built. This hut contained dry clothes, food, blankets, wood and flint and was credited for saving 6 lives shortly after its construction.
You can find the answers to these questions in the book. The book can be found on Amazon.com

Read an excerpt from the book.