USCG Auxiliary Response to Paddle Craft

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what an accident between sailboats has to do with kayaks. Are you try to start another silly discussion about sailboats demanding right of way over all other vessels when they are on starboard tack?

Ralph

I wouldn't say another or silly. This is still part of the discussion of who has the right of way as part of the CG regs.

My self with kayaks, I believe in the rule of tonnage and to attempt to keep out of the way. The CG regs will be used after an accident with the lawyers to figure who is at $ fault. If a kayak gets in an accident with a large boat I wouldn't bet on the kayak, thus the kayak/kayaker has more to loose and should keep out of the way.

-Jason

, in the thread that follows there seems to be as much talk about costal reg as in this thread.

Yes and although it would be expected their overall working knowledge of the Rules would exceed that of kayakers in general, the discussion followed a similar path. While they did not have the little distraction of whether a kayak is a vessel under power, the discussion displayed rather similar approaches to and lack of agreement on determining responsibility. From pragmatic seamanship to parsing the Rules in isolation to allegedly erroneous interpretations of the Rules. Which perhaps highlights Rick's point.

Ed Lawson