USCG Auxiliary Response to Paddle Craft

The first district USCG has tasked the USCG Auxiliary with a muli-tasked mission regarding Paddlecraft and other non-traditional boaters. CMDR Nourse Diraux Sector Boston "39% of all boating fatalities in the First district are Kayakers and Canoeists. All Hands have been encouraged to assist."

During the coming months Paddlecraft related safety and educational opportunities will present themselves to include the ACA/USCG paddle safe program. Auxiliary is tasked to gather appropriate assistance from the community to present programs to the general public.

SO-PE

Merrimack Valley

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is a published report available? The most recent CG report was from 2006.

In 2006 Mass had 9 Canoe & Kayak deaths, will they ever seperate canoe & kayak accidents? Will we ever get a detailed description of the accidents?

I'm intesested in a report because 39% seems awfully high. I mean that as a percentage and for the total # of deaths. Is it 5 of 13 total deaths were canoe & kayak related resulting in 38.5% of total deaths? This would mean that number is down from 9 in 2006 to 5 in 2007. No deaths is obviously what we would all like but the 39% figure could be a deceptive one, it could mean that we're all being safer but the sailboaters had no accidents in 2007 skewing the figures.

Any percentage statistic makes me want to see the report. I recall an infamous statistic about the hand gun deaths in New Zealand increasing 200% in a single year despite gun control laws. In reality the numbers were 1 death one year then 2 deaths the following year.

I hope I don't sound combative (it's always tough to detect tone and nuances in cyber space) I'm just a skeptic by nature.

Is a published report available? The most recent CG report was from 2006.

In 2006 Mass had 9 Canoe & Kayak deaths, will they ever seperate canoe & kayak accidents? Will we ever get a detailed description of the accidents?

I'm intesested in a report because 39% seems awfully high. I mean that as a percentage and for the total # of deaths. Is it 5 of 13 total deaths were canoe & kayak related resulting in 38.5% of total deaths? This would mean that number is down from 9 in 2006 to 5 in 2007. No deaths is obviously what we would all like but the 39% figure could be a deceptive one, it could mean that we're all being safer but the sailboaters had no accidents in 2007 skewing the figures.

Any percentage statistic makes me want to see the report. I recall an infamous statistic about the hand gun deaths in New Zealand increasing 200% in a single year despite gun control laws. In reality the numbers were 1 death one year then 2 deaths the following year.

I hope I don't sound combative (it's always tough to detect tone and nuances in cyber space) I'm just a skeptic by nature.

Michael:

Thank you for your interest. First District USCG is composed of ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, part of NY and Part of NJ. The report for 2007 should be published around Jul 2008. Here is the link for the 2006 report. http://uscgboating.org/statistics/Boating_...istics_2006.pdf . The next point is that paddlecraft are composed of many "non-traditional" boaters and boats. These people include hunters, fisherman, single day renters, outdoor people, in essence, people who utilize paddlecraft incidental to there desired activity. Reports cover everything that makes it to a reportable agency but not nearly "everything" that could be paddlecraft related. The most telling part of the report is that most die of drowning or hypothermia. (sounds familiar?), First you get a reportable injury and response then the person dies in the hospital and it may not make it to the report.

Some key points to the education and outreach will be: Wear your lifejacket, get educated, have the proper equipment, obey the rules.

For instance, did you know that you could be prevented from entering the water or ordered to leave the water for having a "manifestly unsafe voyage"?

Do you know what you are required by law to carry in boat 16' and under and 16' and over?

Michael, as far as being a skeptic. Christopher Columbus was a skeptic.

SO-PE

Merrimack River

USCG Auxiliary

For instance, did you know that you could be prevented from entering the water or ordered to leave the water for having a "manifestly unsafe voyage"?

SO-PE

Merrimack River

USCG Auxiliary

I believe your initial post was a request for assistance in providing educational opportunities regarding safe use of paddlecraft, but the "official" nature of the language used may have caused some confusion. Or did I misinterpret your message?

Given the fact that many who belong to NSPN are relatively skilled, are likely to go to sea well equipped, and are accustomed to paddling in a variety of conditions; some might react differently to the extent it is suggested by inferences they should be addressed and treated as if they were the same as a tourist who rents a kayak for an afternoon.

Am I correct in believing the reference to "manifestly unsafe voyage" means determination that a vessel is unsafe for a specific voyage based upon its failure to meet the specific requirements of 33 CFR Section 177.07(g)?

Ed Lawson

The first district USCG has tasked the USCG Auxiliary with a muli-tasked mission regarding Paddlecraft and other non-traditional boaters. CMDR Nourse Diraux Sector Boston "39% of all boating fatalities in the First district are Kayakers and Canoeists. All Hands have been encouraged to assist."

During the coming months Paddlecraft related safety and educational opportunities will present themselves to include the ACA/USCG paddle safe program. Auxiliary is tasked to gather appropriate assistance from the community to present programs to the general public.

SO-PE

Merrimack Valley

The 2006 report was very interesting. Thanks for posting the link. I'm curious if there is more detailed statistics on kayak/canoe deaths? ie location (ocean, river, lake), weather conditions, water temp/clothing worn, etc. Those statistics could be used in education. I didn't see if there were any statistics regarding kayakers being struck by power boats or PWC. The chart comparing deaths in people wearing PFD's or not was especially interesting (although not remotely surprising). Those statistics should be helpful for education in an area that is obviously not "common sense".

I didn't find the 39% statistic from New England consistent with the national average in 2006. There must either be a change in the trend or significant differences in different regions of the country. In 2006 there were 710 boating fatalities, 27 involving kayaks and 72 involving canoes, which is not near 38%. Of the 27 kayak deaths, 18 were not wearing PFD's. Of the 72 canoe deaths, 63 were not wearing PFD's.

Concerning injuries, there were 3,474 boating injuries in 2006. 16 involved kayaks, 38 involved canoes, 1,863 involved open motor boats and 919 involved personal water craft.

Safety education is definately a good thing and there is always more for anyone to learn. From this report, there is obviously education to be done in many areas and to many groups. NSPN has done much to educate kayakers on safety issues. I feel very fortunate to have learned and continue to learn so much and from this group.

Gay

Hello,

Education is fundamental mission of the Auxiliary. Posting on this web site was to gain the broadest possible audience from the rank beginner to the 5* paddler. The term paddler here generally being understood as a sea kayaker. The better sense of the definition of paddlecraft is anything propelled by manual methods. Hence the confusion of statistics. When you look at the ultimate statistics,most death is caused by drowning whether caught in a strainer or overwhelmed by the sea, or flatly falling out of your punt. In the Northeast add a 80degree day 60 degree water and no lifejacket where do you put the statistic?

The "official" word is to help reduce fatalities and accidents. Enforcement is done by the those charged and sworn to do so. I understand it is a mission of this organization to help educate the public and to assist. Well I will be asking....Who better to ask when it comes to seakayakers new and old.

SO-PE

Merrimack River

Every boat is required to carry certain safety equipment there are state as well as federal requirements. Here is an interactive checklist for the federal requirements that cover all things that are considered a boat.

http://www.uscgboating.org/SAFETY/vsc/vsc_a.html

SO-PE

Merrimack River

SO-PE,

I looks at that link, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with kayaks. Flame arrestors, throwable life Type IV PFD's etc. Is there a better list?

I may well be in error, but I believe the only equipment items the USCG requires of kayakers are PFD, 3 nighttime VDS, and a device for making an audible signal. Which of course is only a small subset of what most here (NSPN) consider important to carry most of the time. The link does a good job of explaining things, but you need to ignore what does not apply and look carefully for the exemptions which apply to kayaks.

Ed Lawson

I was. I forgot the requirement of having a white light to display at night as needed to avoid collision.

Ed Lawson

Ed,

On that last point. I believe you're talking about the reference in the ColRegs about vessels under paddle or oar being required to carry a white light for signaling.

A couple of summers ago a group of us were paddling off hampton Beach and were told by the harbor patrol (after they sped towards us and nearly swamped us...presumably to make some sort of point) that we were required to have 360 degree visable white lights displayed. Most of the group had, at minimum, white lights clipped to our PFD's along with flashlights to signal with.

Does anyone know if this is a regulation specific to NH waters? or possibly their interpertation of the regs?

Does anyone know if this is a regulation specific to NH waters? or possibly their interpertation of the regs?

It is a specific NH Rule. It is possible to get into an arcane discussion about whether or not the rule making authority given under the statue includes coastal waters and whether the actual regulation covers coastal waters, but that is not something to discuss with the NH Marine Patrol on the water.

And yes, the white light is technically a requirement under the Rules as opposed to the equipment regulations...so maybe I was not in error...<g>

Ed Lawson

It is a specific NH Rule. It is possible to get into an arcane discussion about whether or not the rule making authority given under the statue includes coastal waters and whether the actual regulation covers coastal waters, but that is not something to discuss with the NH Marine Patrol on the water.

And yes, the white light is technically a requirement under the Rules as opposed to the equipment regulations...so maybe I was not in error...<g>

Ed Lawson

Thanks Ed. And good advice on NOT debating the law with the Marine Patrol.

Ed,

On that last point. I believe you're talking about the reference in the ColRegs about vessels under paddle or oar being required to carry a white light for signaling.

A couple of summers ago a group of us were paddling off hampton Beach and were told by the harbor patrol (after they sped towards us and nearly swamped us...presumably to make some sort of point) that we were required to have 360 degree visable white lights displayed. Most of the group had, at minimum, white lights clipped to our PFD's along with flashlights to signal with.

USCG requires us to carry white light that we can use to signal...so ANY white light will do.

NH requires a 360 degree visible white light but i thought that was only on inland waterways. i got a ticket on squam from NH marine patrol (which considering it's an aquatic and not a marine environment is a misnomer but semantics aside) because i didn't have that light and i had a hard time keeping my temper down...same thing...comes RACING OVER into the shallows along shore AFTER i signalled him with the flashlight so he COULD even be aware we were there and then proceeded to get all barney fife on a 'roid rage bender with me....in short, an ass. guy was a tool bag and a half.

in any event, i thought that the USCG was the only authority on what we needed to carry at sea and everyone else was towing THAT line?

Anything seaward of the colreg demarkation line is under international treaty and would be under federal requirements. Last I checked Hampton Beach was east of the the colreg line.

SO-PE

Merrrimack River

USCG requires us to carry white light that we can use to signal...so ANY white light will do.

NH requires a 360 degree visible white light but i thought that was only on inland waterways. i got a ticket on squam from NH marine patrol (which considering it's an aquatic and not a marine environment is a misnomer but semantics aside) because i didn't have that light and i had a hard time keeping my temper down...same thing...comes RACING OVER into the shallows along shore AFTER i signalled him with the flashlight so he COULD even be aware we were there and then proceeded to get all barney fife on a 'roid rage bender with me....in short, an ass. guy was a tool bag and a half.

in any event, i thought that the USCG was the only authority on what we needed to carry at sea and everyone else was towing THAT line?

I'm sure that there are plenty of fine points that can be debated...and it's frustrating to be hassled when you feel like you're in compliance. But...I've got to agree with Ed. There's no profit in debating with law enforcement (on land or sea) once they've decided we've broken the rules.

in any event, i thought that the USCG was the only authority on what we needed to carry at sea ?

It has been awhile since I looked at the regs on this, but dimly recall the Fed regs mention that the states can have inconsistent regs which apply to coastal waters. Technically, the Feds have not asserted preemption on some matters. Why NH has a rule that conflicts with Rules on coastal waters is an interesting question. As to the basis for the arcane discussion, we can discuss at the next pool session. FWIW, NH asserts jurisdiction for its rules out 6 NM as I recall.

Ed Lawson

It has been awhile since I looked at the regs on this, but dimly recall the Fed regs mention that the states can have inconsistent regs which apply to coastal waters. Technically, the Feds have not asserted preemption on some matters. Why NH has a rule that conflicts with Rules on coastal waters is an interesting question. As to the basis for the arcane discussion, we can discuss at the next pool session. FWIW, NH asserts jurisdiction for its rules out 6 NM as I recall.

Ed Lawson

Since the pool session takes place after sundown..let's remember to speak in hushed tones lest we're all hauled away for paddling at night without proper lighting ;)

Link to Nav rules http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navrules/navrules.htm

"Where do Kayaks and Canoes fit into the Navigation Rules? Neither the International nor Inland Navigation Rules address "kayaks" or "canoes" per se, except in regards to "vessels under oars" in Rule 25 regarding lights. One could infer that a "vessel under oars" should be treated as a "sailing vessel" since it is permitted to display the same lights as one, but, ultimately the issue of whom "gives way" would fall to what would be "required by the ordinary practice of seamen, or by the special circumstances of the case" (Rule 2)."

Rule 25 inland and international require just a white electric torch.

Link to Nav rules http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navrules/navrules.htm

"Where do Kayaks and Canoes fit into the Navigation Rules? but, ultimately the issue of whom "gives way" would fall to what would be "required by the ordinary practice of seamen, or by the special circumstances of the case" (Rule 2)."

So, how and where is the ordinary practice of seamen defined? Does every seaman have and follow the same set of practices? I know where to find the colregs, but I haven't seen a definitive source specifying ordinary practice.

Ralph

So, how and where is the ordinary practice of seamen defined? Does every seaman have and follow the same set of practices? I know where to find the colregs, but I haven't seen a definitive source specifying ordinary practice.

This would be a good topic for a separate thread and a class it seems to me. Anyway, unless a vessel falls into a specific category under a rule, a vessel is a vessel and a kayak is just another vessel expected to follow the Rules and behave the same as any other vessel. It is also liable as any other vessel for failure to follow the Rules which includes the requirement to follow the ordinary practices of seamen. And yes that is not defined per se, but is a body of knowledge and common understanding expected of those who are masters of a vessel which a paddler is. Best bet is to read books/manuals on seamanship to gain an understanding.

For example, you need to know when and how to hold a course to prevent a sailboat crew from yelling "starboard" let alone knowing what that means.

One reason kayaks are called speed bumps and a group of kayaks is called a rumble strip is the unfortunate fact they have a reputation of being clueless and causing much "frustration" due to their failure to act as seamen.

Ed Lawson

Ed,

You make some good points. Bear in mind that Colregs are to prevent collisions and are based in very old practices. You the paddlecraft operator have the same liability on the water as a huge tanker does.

Anyway, unless a vessel falls into a specific category under a rule, a vessel is a vessel and a kayak is just another vessel expected to follow the Rules and behave the same as any other vessel. It is also liable as any other vessel for failure to follow the Rules which includes the requirement to follow the ordinary practices of seamen. And yes that is not defined per se, but is a body of knowledge and common understanding expected of those who are masters of a vessel which a paddler is. Best bet is to read books/manuals on seamanship to gain an understanding.

For example, you need to know when and how to hold a course to prevent a sailboat crew from yelling "starboard" let alone knowing what that means.

One reason kayaks are called speed bumps and a group of kayaks is called a rumble strip is the unfortunate fact they have a reputation of being clueless and causing much "frustration" due to their failure to act as seamen.

Ed Lawson

This would be a good topic for a separate thread and a class it seems to me. Anyway, unless a vessel falls into a specific category under a rule, a vessel is a vessel and a kayak is just another vessel expected to follow the Rules and behave the same as any other vessel. It is also liable as any other vessel for failure to follow the Rules which includes the requirement to follow the ordinary practices of seamen. And yes that is not defined per se, but is a body of knowledge and common understanding expected of those who are masters of a vessel which a paddler is. Best bet is to read books/manuals on seamanship to gain an understanding.

Ed Lawson

I know we fall under the rules, but which rules? Are we a power boat,or a sail boat, or a vessel with limited ability to maneuver? I read awhile ago an article from a Coast Guard officer that suggested kayaks should be considered vessels with limited ability to maneuver. In this thread, it was suggested we might be sailboats! And it is very reasonable to assume we must be power (human) boats under the Colregs.

When I first start sailing, we were taught that power boat are the burdened vessels relative to sail, and that sailboats and power boats are burdened relative to human power. I have seen this rule in older books. Is this standard seaman’s practice? It doesn’t seem to be the case today.

A sailboat should only be yelling starboard to another sailboat, the tack governs interaction between two sailboats. It has no meaning relative to a power boat or other craft, and if a skipper is yelling starboard to a kayaker it simply shows he doesn’t know what he is doing.

Ralph

I know we fall under the rules, but which rules? Are we a power boat,or a sail boat, or a vessel with limited ability to maneuver? ....

A sailboat should only be yelling starboard to another sailboat, the tack governs interaction between two sailboats. It has no meaning relative to a power boat or other craft,

I assume you know the Rules and are asking how are kayaks treated under the Rules. Short answer. Beats me, but this is my $.02. Kayaks are vessels. By definition they cannot be vessels under power, nor vessels under sail unless propelled by sail, nor a vessel with limited ability to maneuver. This creates a problem since some rules are written specifically for vessels under power or sail. They are also not written for small recreational boats. The only way out of this is to accept that the rules were not written for recreational vessels, especially kayaks, and one needs to apply the spirit of the Rules in a prudent manner when they do not provide guidance for vessels generally. For example, I believe the Rules generally require giving way to the starboard vessel when a collision is possible. Given the fact that an emergency tack does raise the potential for injury and even death on the sailing vessel as well as the potential to force it onto a dangerous course, any vessel must generally give way to a sailboat to starboard. Which was why I used that as an example. While yelling "starboard!!!" is most often heard when racing sailboats where close crossing under different tacks happen, it is founded upon the Rule concerning two vessels under sail (12) and given the overall obligations under the Rules, a kayak when on a course that creates the risk of collision with a vessel under sail, should assume the obligations of the port/windward vessel. I would take a yell of "Starboard" to mean the master of the vessel under sail, rightly or wrongly, has determined he will need to tack soon if I do not alter course and my obligation is to alter course to avoid not just the collision but the tack as well. Of course, to even be able to hear the yell suggests I'm too close.

Burch's navigation book has a good section on the inherent problems you highlight starting at page 242.

Just to stir the pot a little bit regarding the application of the NH light rules on its coast. If you want to play lawyer read 33 CFR Section 80.115 which establishes the COLREGS demarcation line between Portland Head and Cape Ann. Hint, except for Portsmouth Harbor and Little Harbor, the inland rules have no application along the coast of NH Then consider these questions, is the USA obligated by International Treaty to abide by and enforce only the COLREGS outside the demarcation line? If yes, then does it have the power to not exercise preemption of state law on matters covered by the COLREGS and would a state have any jurisdiction regardless to impose and enforce a law in contravention of the COLREGS outside the demarcation line?

Obviously there has been too much snow and the winter has been too long which has addled my brain.

Ed Lawson