storm cag comparing?

Paul Sylvester

Looking for thoughts on the GRO Seal Suit verses the Kokatat Tropos Storm Cag. Who lurking here has the Kokatat ?

Does it seem heavy duty and durable?

How small does it pack?

I am somewhat familiar with the Seal Suit Cag but how small does that pack?

Not really interested in Reeds...

Thoughts, ideas?

thanks,

Paul S.

Looking for thoughts on the GRO Seal Suit verses the Kokatat Tropos Storm Cag. Who lurking here has the Kokatat ?

Does it seem heavy duty and durable?

How small does it pack?

I am somewhat familiar with the Seal Suit Cag but how small does that pack?

Not really interested in Reeds...

Thoughts, ideas?

thanks,

Paul S.

Hey Paul,

I have the Kokatat Tropos Storm Cag that you can try on and see how it packs. The Tropos is breathable and lightweight and very comfortable to actually wear. Kokatat has been using the fabric for a few years now and is pleased with how it is holding up. They use if for lightweight paddling jackets and such.

It packs up much smaller than the old Ras Dex that I have. I am not sure if the old Ras Dex are any different than the newer GRO ones. It is much more comfortable to wear as it is physically lighter. I am sure that the old Ras Dex are more abrasion resistant, just like a pair of Carhart pants are more abrasion resistant than my jeans are ~ BUT do you need a cag that tough?

I have donated one to each of the two upcoming symposiums - Rough Water over Labor Day and Down East the weekend following. Two lucky local paddlers will win one!

Suz

New England Kokatat Rep

I have an early Expedition Essentials one that i love....it is not the sil-nylon tone that the produce now....mine is a lot like the NDK one.....except that it was cheaper....might be worth giving sea kayak georgia a call to see if they have an older one on hand.....

r

The whole point of the Kokotat Tropos fabric and the RasDex is that they <breathe>, whereas Sil-nylon is totally waterproof -- ie, if you want to work up a sweat, that might be the way to do it?

Alright: apologies: I see that you refer to the older model...

The whole point of the Kokotat Tropos fabric and the RasDex is that they <breathe>, whereas Sil-nylon is totally waterproof -- ie, if you want to work up a sweat, that might be the way to do it?

Alright: apologies: I see that you refer to the older model...

no problem....i do nto like the sil-nylon one....especially if you try to put it on when youa re slightly wet.....feels like a big condom.....eeeewwwwwwwwww..then add a little condensation....ugh....

a good cag is great to have...always lives in my day hatch.....

rob

I have a Valley/GRO cag, and would be hard pressed to find something negative to say about it. It cost @ $160, about a year and a half ago, and I don’t know what extra value one would get with the Kokatat storm cag, which is considerably more expensive; maybe its compact its storage size. Mine is not a lightweight, compact item, but I prefer it the way it is, since I store it in my day hatch, stuffed in last, and it provides dunnage for whatever is in there ( water bottles, waterbroof boxes, dromedary, Tupperware etc), keeps them from shifting. Also, my understanding is that a cag should not be breathable; (see description from seakayak georgia website) http://www.seakayakgeorgia.com/shoponline/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=41) it is meant to stop the evaporative cooling that the breathable garments (gore-tex, fleece etc) underneath create , so I prefer the nonbreathable GRO cag to the Kokatat's gore-tex fabric.

Suz,

Will the Tropos work on the Ocean Cockpit on my Anas? I see the only cockpit size is listed as large. I'd imagine with this lighterweight material it may cinch up that tight but thought i;d inquire.

Thanks

Ken

Suz,

Will the Tropos work on the Ocean Cockpit on my Anas? I see the only cockpit size is listed as large. I'd imagine with this lighterweight material it may cinch up that tight but thought i;d inquire.

Thanks

Ken

Ken,

The bungee through the bottom could be tied off to any size just drawing the fabric smaller and you are correct that the fabric is light enough to do that. The only down side would be that if you cut the excess bungee drawstring, you couldn't put it on a larger cockpit. If you left it long, it may annoy you when wearing it set up for your boat.

The other thought would be to set it up for use on your boat and cut the bungee where you want it and if you need to use it on someone else on a regular cockpit, they would simply use over their own skirt without hooking it on the rim (assuming the bungee wouldn't stretch far enough). I don't think that would be a bad plan because there are times I would put it on a paddler w/o attaching it to the rim.

Breathable vs not,

As for breathability and a cag, I was sold my old Ras Dex about 6 years ago and the tag said it was breathable material. The price of my old Ras Dex was $160. Seakayaking USA started making them out of the non breathable nylon using their Expedition Essentials label. The new ones that Dale is having made are quite a bit kess expensive and are priced about $120. It is my opinion that you don't really want a cag that is not breathable. One that isn't will warm you up quickly but all your body's moisture is going to build up under the cag and eventually inside whatever you are wearing - fine if it is wetsuit weather, not so fine if drysuit. The Cag by Valley/GRO is made of waterproof breathable fabric w/ a Exeat membrane and is priced at $179. The retail price on the Tropos Cag by Kokatat is $189. So there are lots of options out there - something for everyone I would say.

Suz

a heavier fabric i.e. NDK cag's material-while it might not be breathable is going to be a Heck-of-a-lot more comfortable than a sil-nylon non-breathable one....

the sil-nylon because it is literally one layer of nylon impregnated with a silicon layer will become VERY clammy and stick to you like tape...ugh...

a heavier material-while still not breathable-will feel a lot more comforablte since there is usally a finish on the material that will absorb the moisture-that will make it not stick to much.....

my experiences.....i sweat a good bit.....but still would not want a gore material cag.....not even the newest proshell material which is sweet!

rob