Classified Ads - Please Read

Webadmin

When posting a classified ad please include your contact information and details (paddle length, drytop size, boat color, condition of boat, etc...)about the item that you are selling.

When your item has sold please add a sold message to the thread so that we can delete your message.

Please do not reply to your ads so that they are bumped up to the top of the list.

After one year classified ads will be deleted.

• 5 years later...

Folks- Just a heads up that someone who expressed interest in a family member's boat listing on our site is likely trying to perpetuate a scam. Offered to pay full price + more for transportation in a single cashiers check. Transportation was to be handled by an unamed "agent". Often, the scam is that the cashiers check is a forgery so the unlucky recipient pays out their own money for the extra service to the intermediate before finding out the check is fraudulent. While I can't be sure that this is a fraud attempt, the details in the email inquiry were strange and it was full of typos (including different spellings of the individual's name). If you've received an inquiry into your boat for sale that sound similar, PM me and I'll give you more details.

Phil

Not sure how to pm you but I did get one of these. First response was vague and simple. I sent pics and then got the whole "send check/ shipping story. Sounded like it came out of a boilerroom in west Africa...

Here is my scammer's e-mail that came this week. I didn't even bother to respond. It just doesn't sound right. What paddler do you know "makes an inquiry"... wants "more" pictures - I didn't post any. Besides, who would even ask for a picture of a paddle?

So, definitely beware.

------ Forwarded Message

Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 12:28:13 +0100

To: Suzanne Hutchinson

Subject: Used Lendal Paddles

Hello.

I'm making inquiry on the item you have for sale on nspn.org

However,i 'll like to know if it's still available and the price for it.

Also, will appreciate more pictures of it

Thanks

------ End of Forwarded Message

Here is my scammer's e-mail that came this week. I didn't even bother to respond. It just doesn't sound right. What paddler do you know "makes an inquiry"... wants "more" pictures - I didn't post any. Besides, who would even ask for a picture of a paddle?

So, definitely beware.

------ Forwarded Message

Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 12:28:13 +0100

To: Suzanne Hutchinson

Subject: Used Lendal Paddles

Hello.

I'm making inquiry on the item you have for sale on nspn.org

However,i 'll like to know if it's still available and the price for it.

Also, will appreciate more pictures of it

Thanks

------ End of Forwarded Message

While I don't doubt that the inquiry you received is probably a scam, I had two people ask for pictures of my Lendal Kinetic S paddles that were up for sale (and still are; I'll repost in the appropriate area.). Grudgingly, I sent one person, a woman in NYC, pictures, but I, too, wondered why anyone would want photos. While I made sure I focused on the edges of the blades where the most wear would be, they must have been too "worn" (normal usage and Lendals are pretty tough) for her taste (or my price), and I never heard from her.

I wonder how long stuff stays alive on the internet, excepting this site which promptly removes an item when it's been sold. Bob was still receiving inquiries about his Slipstream -- sold 5 years ago to a UMASS-Boston professor -- last year. :headBang: Given the usage of English, the inquiry definitely was coming out of either Asia or Africa. We laughed about it as most of the inquiries sounded like they were written by the same person who says you'll have access to a million dollar bank account in Nigeria if you send them your info.

Deb :roll::surfing:

I also got a spam inquiry on my Pintail ad here last week, from the same "Mitch Gregston" fellow.

His email asked for pics and a price (both of which were provided already in my thread). His wording also made it clear that he had no idea what a "Pintail" was.

I was tempted to quiz him about what sort of object he was trying to buy, but thought better of it.

Nate

• 3 weeks later...

Man, I must have been the dumb one because I even got a call from the guy. I even received the "Money Gram" from Malaysia.

Below is the email from "Mitch Greston". Where can I report this?

James

Subject: Good to speak with you

To: "james song" <tsongus@yahoo.com>

Date: Friday, April 29, 2011, 10:31 PM

Hello James,

It was good to speak with you through the phone..Its a Money Gram money orders of $750 each sent from Malaysia..You should sign on each of the money order and proceed to cash them and shall be cashed easily...Once you have them cashed you keep your $50 and get back to me so that i can provide you with the shipping agency details so that they can be at your place to pick up the Yakima Hullraiser and Thule Hull-a-Port immediately.

Thanks

Mitch

Man, I must have been the dumb one because I even got a call from the guy. I even received the "Money Gram" from Malaysia.

Below is the email from "Mitch Greston". Where can I report this?

James

Subject: Good to speak with you

To: "james song" <tsongus@yahoo.com>

Date: Friday, April 29, 2011, 10:31 PM

Hello James,

It was good to speak with you through the phone..Its a Money Gram money orders of $750 each sent from Malaysia..You should sign on each of the money order and proceed to cash them and shall be cashed easily...Once you have them cashed you keep your $50 and get back to me so that i can provide you with the shipping agency details so that they can be at your place to pick up the Yakima Hullraiser and Thule Hull-a-Port immediately.

Thanks

Mitch

The State attorney general's office might be a good start...but not sure they'll be able to trace to the source. Hope you didn't send them any money.

The State attorney general's office might be a good start...but not sure they'll be able to trace to the source. Hope you didn't send them any money.

No money. I replied back saying that I am having my bank check the validity of the "Money Gram" before I can do anything. Hopefully, that should keep him down for a while.

James

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

When your item has sold please add a sold message to the thread so that we can delete your message.

Why not leave sold items on the board. It's often useful to see what sold, what was asked, how long it took etc. Certainly there's plenty of disk space, and I can't see any problem as long as it is clearly marked SOLD. Searching the sold items on eBay, for example, is one of America's greatest pastimes and business tactics.

This came up as I went looking for a recent successful ad of mine to use as a model for another one.

--David.

Why not leave sold items on the board. It's often useful to see what sold, what was asked, how long it took etc. Certainly there's plenty of disk space, and I can't see any problem as long as it is clearly marked SOLD. Searching the sold items on eBay, for example, is one of America's greatest pastimes and business tactics.

This came up as I went looking for a recent successful ad of mine to use as a model for another one.

--David.

Sold items are kept on the "Sold Items" forum http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?showforum=112

-Jason

Ah. Sorry. Got tricked by the note about deleting them.

--David

It was decided that the old posts could be useful and we would make them available to current NSPN members. In the past sold items where deleted, now they are being archived.

-Jason