I played hooky from trip leader tra

Guest guest

Guest guest

Saturday May 11, 2002

The putin was Spring Point, Portland Maine. As most of you who read these pages know when the notice says 8:30 AM meet 9:00 AM shove off you know be there or be left behind. With that in mind a set the alarm for 5:00 so I would have plenty of time. Loaded the boat the night before gave me some extra time for coffee and breakfast. Heading to Portland from Danvers the sky was clear but the wind was getting snotty. As I proceeded to make two wrong turns I was getting a little worried about arriving on time. Not to worry I made it with time to spare. After unloading my gear I learned we would tow two boats to MIKC and we would paddle with two of the MIKC people. We have set out from spring point in two groups. The first group had arrived in Peaks Island before the second group left. As a member of the second group I was just getting into the channel with a few of the many large vessels plying the waters of Portland Harbor. The radio was blasting in my ear the first group was calling to see where we were. Well when there are 3-4 foot seas a kayak under tow and boats everywhere using the radio is a test of skills. Several times the call was sent to check on progress. I think we could be there now if I weren’t stopped to answer the radio.

Once on Peaks I was introduced to Tom Berg of MIKC and one of his leaders Paul. We had some small talk then we were off for a guided tour of the Portland Harbor islands. The pace was brisk but not difficult to keep. We headed for the windward side of the Islands for the wave action and the surf conditions. As we moved along the sky was clear the breeze fresh and wild life everywhere. Seals in the water many kinds of birds and ducks. With the interesting commentary about the ecosystem of the area and life on the island it was a fast paddle to lunch. A quick snack and drink and we were ready for more of the same but on the lee of the wind this time. As we paddled on the lee side we played on the rolling surf and did the usually rock garden games. A chip here a dent there and so it went. With two highly skilled and friendly guides it was a real treat. As we came in sight of the cut between Peaks and House Island Tom parted company, he back to MIKO and us back to reality. For those who haven’t experienced the treat of the Portland outer Harbor Islands, let me tell you it is worth the time and expense. Tom is not only highly skilled at paddling he is also a treat to paddle with, I didn’t have time to ask when the start running trips or the cost, you can find them on the web.

The paddle was in the teeth of a gale. I am not sure of the details, was it 60 miles and 60 knot winds, no; well maybe it was 30 knots and 30 miles still not sure. Must have been 15 miles and 15 knots and four people that must be the 60 I am just too tired to tell. The day ended with a great meal in Portland, a something or other Bear was the name of the place. Great food and something wet for a tired paddler. A smooth drive to Danvers and it was a day, that is, except for a soak in the hot tub. Just for good measure.

Jim B

The one thing that unites all human beings,regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background,is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average

paddlers

P & H Orion

Yellow over White

jim@nspn.org

Guest guest

No better training than paddling head on into 15-18kts winds for 4 miles. Most would have opted for the lee both up and back. Strong winds make strong paddlers.

Guest guest

Or a strong padler is a person with a strong back and a weak mind

Jim B

The one thing that unites all human beings,regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background,is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average

paddlers

P & H Orion

Yellow over White

jim@nspn.org