NSPN Kick-Off Paddle, June 3, Odiorne (Cancelled)

Sue H.
Message added by Sue H.,

This event has been cancelled due to significantly inclement weather predictions.  Our Skills Session #1 on 6/11/23 will offer very similar journeys with some learning along the way.  Please watch the Calendar and Trips/Events Forum for this skills session to go live with details and sign-up instructions.

Hello Fellow Paddlers,

We are not waiting til the official start of summer (Summer Solstice 6/21/23) to hold our annual-start-of-the-summer club paddle!  Our Kick-Off Event on Saturday 6/3/23 will be held at Odiorne State Park, Ocean Blvd., Rye NH.  The boat ramp is north of the main park entrance, just before the bridge.  You need to make advance reservations for parking as soon as possible at https://newhampshirestateparks.reserveamerica.com/camping/odiorne-point-state-park/r/deDetails.do?contractCode=NH&parkId=270106

Please gather by 9:15 to unload boats etc and be prepared for beach briefing at 9:45.  We will launch promptly at 10:00.  Alternative dates TBD if the weather and associated sea states are too gnarly.  As usual we are offering 3 different trips, commensurate with people’s interests and skill level.  Over the course of day, an effort will be made to support paddlers who want to begin to work on expanding their comfort zone. MAPTECH Waterproof Chart 27 or a computer generated chart of the area is recommended but not required.  High Tide at Jaffery Point is 11:24 am and low tide is 5:10 pm.  Predictable weather and sea state not yet available at the time of this posting.

Proposed Trips Offered (subject to change by conditions or preferences expressed): 

1)   Tidal Flat Water Journey, likely to explore the mouth of the Sagamore River and the inner tidal waters of New Castle Island.  This area lies between the Piscataqua River to the north, the western side of New Castle and with Little Harbor to the south east.  There will likely be a stop and short hike on Leachs Island.  Depending on the route, total distance 6-7 NM.

2)  Clockwise Circumnavigation of New Castle Island, approximate distance 7 NM depending on zig zag exploration.  9-10 NM possible if pod adds a short journey out and about to Wood Island and nearby ledges. This trip will include some flat tidal water on backside of New Castle, paddling out the mouth of the Piscataqua River and ocean travel long the eastern coast of New Castle.  May have opportunities to explore some dynamic water.

3)  Exit Little Harbor to open ocean and south to Rye Harbor, approximate distance 12 NM.  Varied coastal terrain with some opportunity to experience dynamic water and getting in close to the terrain provided.  Pod members could choose to order a lobster roll or other food items at Rye Lobster Pound (currently open Fri-Sun 10 am-6 pm) or possibly alternate choices at one of the other food shacks at the Harbor (their status unknown at this time).

As always for club paddles, you will need to be an NSPN member and to have signed the participation agreement for 2023. Click here to read and sign the participation agreement.

Sea kayaks (minimum of 14 ft with bulkheads), spray skirts and PFDs required. Additionally, the water temperature is likely to be in the high 50’s, consequently seasonally appropriate immersion clothing is required, ie. a dry suit, farmer johns or neoprene pants with semi or full dry tops. You will need to bring water, a hot beverage is recommended, lunch and sunscreen.

POST PADDLE ICE CREAM !!!  Optional gathering for ice cream at The Ice House, 112 Wentworth Rd., Rye, NH 03870 (5 miles from Odiorne).

Register by filling out this form.

• mhabich changed the title to NSPN Kick-Off Paddle, June 3, Odiorne

Hi. I signed up just after the form was posted. I see that I am "Going" at the top of the calendar listing, but I am not listed in the 22 circles who are going or the in downloaded list. Am I registered or should I reregister? I do have parking. Thanks, Al

Hi Al,

Yes you are registered !  The only way a person shows up as going under NSPN Calendar for this event is if they click on going.  The completed registration form and indicating you are going in the calendar posting, do not coordinate with each other.  The folks that indicated they were going have to go to the Trip/Events forum under the Message Board and follow the instructions within, otherwise they are not registered !  A bit confusing I know, the BOD will look at this conundrum and see if there is anything we can do to resolve the confusion.

Best, Sue

1 hour ago, Sue H. said:

Hi Al,

Yes you are registered !  The only way a person shows up as going under NSPN Calendar for this event is if they click on going.  The completed registration form and indicating you are going in the calendar posting, do not coordinate with each other.  The folks that indicated they were going have to go to the Trip/Events forum under the Message Board and follow the instructions within, otherwise they are not registered !  A bit confusing I know, the BOD will look at this conundrum and see if there is anything we can do to resolve the confusion.

Best, Sue

Thanks. Looking back at similar upcoming events which I am not signed up for helps me see the confusion.  On the top of the left-hand side above the horizontal "Going, Maybe, Declined" is "Going" enclosed in a large, blue box. Below that is "Maybe and Decline" in a white background. That suggested to me that I was enrolled. Perhaps that could be redesigned so there are three choices of equal value Going?, Maybe?, Decline? each indicated by the same blue font (already used for Maybe and Decline). 

PS. While this trip's signup makes it more complicated since you have enroll through a form, something like my suggestion would make the event page more clear in general for now.

• mhabich changed the title to NSPN Kick-Off Paddle, June 3, Odiorne (Cancelled)