Baker's, Barrel Rescue, date to be announced

Jim Snyder

On a day in late April a group of paddlers to remain nameless launched a non-club trip out of West Beach in Beverly. On the return from a probably ill-advised stop on Baker's Island we encountered flotsam. It was a 55 gallon plastic drum with no lid. One of our group decided that could not stand and decided to try to tow it out. As one who accidentally towed a helmet several miles I can only imagine what it was like towing a mostly submerged drum. 

The rest of the group formed up in the Misery gut to lounge around telling stories waiting for bucket boy to catch up but eventually decided that wasn't happening and retraced our strokes to look for him. We found him just outside the gut paddling hard but going almost nowhere. After some debate about what to do and realizing there was no discouraging him from relocating the barrel, a plan emerged. I put a tow on the barrel tow-er, who from here on I'll call BOB (barrel on beach), but even with both of us we were making little progress. Then suddenly my boat surged forward! Looking back I saw BOB had gone rogue. He had the barrel on a long rope and was swimming for Little Misery. He managed to fetch up on shore with a little slack still in the rope and proceeded to reel it in like a 400 pound fish. Once on shore he was able to empty it and drag it up to high ground where if man or tides or storms haven't intervened it remains weeks later. 

If you were there and feel I've exaggerated or left anything out or care to embellish feel free. But I say we have to go back to Baker's, this time as invited guests, then rescue the barrel from Little Misery, bring it back to West Beach and see to it that it is recycled properly. 

We have a window of opportunity approaching to accomplish this. I can arrange a visit to Baker's Island Light after Memorial Day and we can park at West Beach until June 10th. That gives us 12 days to choose from. The biggest challenge may be to plan for getting the barrel from Little Misery to the beach either lashed to a back deck or maybe to an improvised platform between two boats. We also need to plan for disposition of the barrel. 

Obviously you needn't have been on the original trip to join this mission but hopefully some will. Post here if you want to join, or if you have suggestions about the barrel. Details to follow! 

Haha’! This is a well told account of the great BOB escapade!  I would love to join in the next chapter of the adventure. Good ideas for getting the B to the mainland.

My mind wonders about using a larger than the B plastic construction bag to seal it in and  tow- as long as it can be sealed so that it wouldn’t leak- causing a double flotsam rescue aka BBOB.  
After Mem day, that week , I am free every day except Friday. Will hope to join you!

Barb

A barrel with no lid. One end open and other end closed? Can a tool be taken to put a towline through the closed end? Would that be more like towing a helmet with the nice, rounded, water-dynamic dome pointed to the boat rather than the chin strap?

Sounds like a fun challenge. Hope I can make it 

I've contacted the NSA for recent imagery and it's still there as of 15:00et.

If we drill out the bottom for towing it might affect our ability to repurpose the barrel. I heard Mike might want it for a rain barrel...

1 hour ago, Frederick Goodman said:

How did the original BOB fasten a rope to it?

I didn't see this part but I think Shari Gallant might have been present...

I've seen it. I'd love to help. I could donate lots of bubble wrap -- ugh, plastic, I know -- to fill the cavity and keep it buoyant for the tow. Of course, it would be riding very high and get blown around if there is wind ...

Liz

I believe there was a handle opening near the upper rim, through which the tow was attached. Misery Island has a trash clean up once a season and they will likely take the barrel (though not as fun as another haul?!). The barrel is upright and full of water and trash at present!

This trip is now planned for the week of June 5, pending conditions. I expect to be able to schedule a tour of the Baker Island Light during that week.

The original BOB reports that he has visited the barrel and added some trash to it which will complicate the recovery. I'd like to nominate Ricardo as Chief Recovery Engineer, henceforth referred to as the CRE.

Even better - let’s magnify the challenge and start our own landfill! There seem to be lots of unused islands out there. This could be fun: towing trash around Salem Sound and helping the environment by building a new garbage mountain. No one will mind except some dumb seagulls!

Actually, come to think of it there is some space on Baker Island that isn’t yet occupied by cottages. So never mind the bit about finding an unused island: I think we’re all set. 

note to Coastwatch and irate Bakers landowners: JK

Edited by Joseph Berkovitz