Using phones and internal GPS to contact USCG

Barbara Ryan

Hi Friends.  I need a new VHS radio and in researching know I want at least 6w,  11 hr battery life,  USB charging (for camping) and am wondering if I need to go for one that has GPS/DSC?  The Standard Horizon HX 890 is 2 lbs! Too heavy.

I was looking into how our phones might be helpful and found these articles: https://portal.ct.gov/OMA/In-the-News/2020-News/With-i911-System-Coast-Guard-Can-Use-Cell-Phone-GPS-Data-to-Locate-Mariners

And, for some reason this is app. says it is "not available" here, but the USCG offers an app for mariners on the West coast:  https://uscgboating.org/mobile/

"The app also features an Emergency Assistance button which, with locations services enabled, will call the closest Coast Guard command center."

I know i should know and be able to give my exact position from my chart is I need to call for help, however, having GPS give my exact location seems prudent.

I would appreciate your experienced thoughts.

Thanks!

Barb

Barb:

A few random comments.  The difference between 5 and 6 watts is inconsequential.  I would not make power output a criterion as essentially all VHF marine handhelds have at least 5W output, and you will never notice the difference between 5 and 6 watts.  I am not a fan of USB charging ports because they are an obvious weak point in terms of water intrusion and corrosion.  I always seal any USB port with electrical tape on a device that is not kept in a waterproof container when taken kayaking. FWIW, I have never needed to charge a VHF radio while on a camping trip, but YMMV.   There are many reasons to have a DSC radio, but they are bigger and heavier.  If I had to choose between a DSC radio or some cellphone app to get vital info to the CG when things go wrong, I would pick the DSC radio.  That said, I do not have one.

Ed Lawson

To follow up on why I said the difference between 5 and 6 watts is meaningless even though 1 more watt is a 20% increase over 5 watts.  As a general rule it takes a 3 db increase in power to make a noticeable difference and a 3 db increase represents doubling the power. Often overlooked is the quality of the antenna.  Regardless of the power output,  it is the antenna which radiates that power and any issues with the antenna can have major impact upon how well you are heard.  FWIW, most handheld units have "compromised" antennas and the only way to compare radios in terms of radiated power is by using a field strength meter...but that is getting in the weeds.  Playing around on a paddle using different power levels and holding the radio in different positions might be enlightening or at least fun.

I would counsel having both cell and VHF (DSC optional). As Fred said, redundancy is good and you don’t always have both kinds of signal. Also in many cases (like Salem Sound) a cell call to the local Harbormaster can get you help much faster  

You do not need any app on your cell phone for the USCG to get your location. What they do is send you a text message with a link to a special web page. When you open the link and go to that page, your web browser (Safari, Chrome, whatever) can transmit your current location to them. 

(AAA does the same thing these days for emergency service calls from a cell phone. It’s become pretty standard. )

Cell phone calls one person...just the CG, for example.  VHF channel 16 calls all boats, since they're required to monitor (and many do).  Generally anyone with a small powerboat could provide meaningful assistance.

Cell phone works great around here, maybe not so good downeast...although 5w VHF from 3' high from water might not reach anyone there either.

DSC transmits farther than analog voice VHF.

Well, FWIW, the HX80 is lighter than the plain vanilla HX 380 and is same size other than being thicker, but that added thickness does make them seem  bulky to me at least.

The CG monitors CH 16 and the coverage of the new Rescue 21 is very good given its antenna system so even if there are no vessels nearby, odds are the GC will hear you and you will hear them.

Ed Lawson