2023 Surfski Sessions

mattdrayer

Hello NSPN members!  Is winter done?  The calendar says so, but the weather forecast says "not so fast" :) Either way, I'm pretty excited about the idea of thawing-out my surfski and getting back on the water soon.

I'm happy to continue with our now multi-year tradition of putting on a free Intro to Surfski workshop at some point this summer.  Late July or early August seems to work best for this.  It would be great if I could work with someone to organize the session, which typically goes 9am-12pm on a Saturday morning.  Let me know if you'd like to help make it go!

In addition, I am continuing this year with my free 1:1 coaching sessions for any NSPN members interested in learning more about surfskis.  I have an extra Epic V8 and a wing paddle, and I also have this sweet Epic V10 Double

IMG_3660.thumb.jpg.38db4f0ee4defa88463f7185925635f0.jpg

Let's have some fun this summer!

Matt :) 

• 3 months later...

The 2023 Blackburn Challenge is a wrap, and my summer paddling schedule is now 100% focused on messing about with friends and surfskis and wing paddles -- ping me via direct message if you'd like to get together for a session!  In addition I'm still up for doing an NSPN Intro to Surfski workshop on a Saturday or Sunday morning or afternoon -- if you'd like to see that happen, let's do it!

Matt :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just dropping a note here to thank @mattdrayerfor a terrific surfski session with me on Friday (7/28). I've been wanting to do this since last year but the scheduling never seemed to work out.

Conditions were perfect in Nahant Bay for working on basic surfski technique, which was exactly what I wanted to do. Matt gave me some very effective feedback on using the wing paddle to best effect and discussed some training techniques with me. I found the Epic V8 a great ski to get started on and quite stable once it is moving. Unfortunately there were not really any waves to ride, so I will just have to do this again soon on a day when there is a bit of swell!

I recommend taking advantage of Matt's generosity if you can. Even if you do not run out and buy a ski, there are aspects of paddling that are revealed more clearly by being on one, and there is some useful learning that you can take back and apply to your sea kayak. And, of course, it's just plain fun!

J