Winter paddling

Max F

Hello all,

I live in Oregon but end up in Marblehead most winters for a couple weeks visiting my mother in law and have a Current Designs Prana to make the best of my time near the water.

I have had my eye on these forums and calender but never see any on the water activity this time of year. Am I missing something? I would love to meet up with others and while enjoying some quite off season island hoping off Marblehead, Berverly, Essex etc. This year I will be in the area from Dec 15th-25th

I look forward to hearing what others in the area do this time of year.

Thanks,

Max

Hi Max,

There are some of us who paddle all winter when conditions allow but often short notice and informal rather than posting here. If you join the club you can be reached by private message or you can email me (address in profile) then I can let you know if there's something happening. The ocean's been pretty windy with some big conditions lately which has made it hard. 

Edit:  I see you did join but are still listed as a guest. That should be fixed shortly. 

Max: I live in Marblehead and paddle through the winter as opportunity arises (and it frequently does). Jim gave you a good explanation of the situation with respect to winter paddles in the club. They are generally short notice and circulate on informal email lists.

Once you are listed as a member then we can exchange emails and then arrange to get in touch when there’s a weather window. For us it can be a same day thing even, since put ins are a few minutes drive. Let’sjust meet up in town and say hello even if the weather is crappy.

Other members: if you have cold water equipment and are reasonably experienced on the water and would like to paddle in the wintertime please PM me or post here. I feel we can and should have more wintertime activity in the club as long as we are really careful about the safety and composition of the trips. Can’t promise what will happen, but key to these trips is having a pre-assembled list of people who are OK with paddling with each other in cold water situations where consequences are obviously more serious should anything go wrong. 

Edited by Joseph Berkovitz

Thanks for getting back to me Jim and Joseph,

That sort of a last min meetup is what I was assuming and hoping was happening in the area. My schedule is mostly loose while I am out there and I especially try to keep it free when NOAA indicates potentially better days. I am by no means an expert paddler but of course have a quality dry suit, proper layers and a life jacket packed with all the appropriate electronic fixings. I am also very comfortable and practiced with self rescue and knowledgeable with marine weather conditions.

My fingers are crossed for some good weather windows and meeting you both soon.

Edited by Max F

• 1 month later...