Kokatat charging for leak/water test?

Dan Foster

It used to be that if you sent a drysuit in to Kokatat for a gasket replacement, they'd do a free water test and make repairs, am I remembering that right? Now they've got a separate $45 factory water test option on the page where you'd order a gasket replacement. They also now offer annual service plans.

Has anyone sent in a suit for a gasket replacement recently? Can you confirm whether or not they are still doing complimentary water tests, or if you need to order that as well?

Dan,

I just scanned some past repair orders. 

I've ordered and have been charged for water testing while having gaskets replaced.

You mentioned the service plans.  I own a number of Kokatat products and have found by putting all the items on a regular schedule of gasket replacement, purchasing an annual plan every 2-3 years has paid off. 

The tests are charged for these days. 

I was doing the periodic service club thing for a while, like David, but I seem to need yearly replacements (is it my skin chemistry?) so it’s become too expensive.  Now I have all the repair stuff at home for gaskets and patches and I’m just doing the testing and repairs myself. 

Dan, Kokatat has been charging for the water tests for quite a long time now.  Though it includes fixing the pinhole leaks.

Warranty Evaluation, which in my opinion you should ALWAYS add when sending your suit back, is "Free" but if ordered alone requires a return shipping fee ($11.95 this October).  To my amazement, one of my pandemic suits already de-laminated, so I love Gore-Tex!  I also received my replacement suit this week.

7 hours ago, Joseph Berkovitz said:

I was doing the periodic service club thing for a while, like David, but I seem to need yearly replacements (is it my skin chemistry?) so it’s become too expensive.  Now I have all the repair stuff at home for gaskets and patches and I’m just doing the testing and repairs myself. 

Joseph you should easily get more than a year out of a gasket.  My last thick gaskets outlasted the Gore-Tex fabric!  Any chance you are getting a tiny trace of suntan lotion on your gaskets?  That includes putting suntan lotion on your skin, then touching a gasket with that skin.  Any petroleum based product quickly kills latex.   Personally, I wear a neck Buff, and Buff gloves to minimize my chances of getting suntan lotion on my gaskets.  I try to rinse the gaskets after each paddle.  If they don't look shiny, the gaskets also get the 303 Protectant treatment.

One paddler did tell me they thought newer gaskets are thinner than they used to be, and thus do not last as long.  Personally, I always specify the "Thick" aka "Coast Guard" gaskets these days, and I certainly get multiple years out of them.

The last time I sent a drysuit in for gasket replacement I didn’t ask for a test since it wasn’t leaking. They emailed me telling me they’d replace my drysuit under warranty. Apparently the delamination was visually obvious. But yes, they’ve charged for a leak test as long as I can remember. 

19 hours ago, Joseph Berkovitz said:

Now I have all the repair stuff at home for gaskets and patches and I’m just doing the testing and repairs myself. 

My tired old Palm Torrent has developed leaks in the past, for which I've used thinned (toluene), warmed Aquaseal in locations that can be identified. Years later, I've noted a leaky right lower leg/boot seepage, and can't locate specific (or diffuse?) water entry. How do you approach these repairs, and is there some spray sealant that works?

I'm contemplating giving up the bottom half and saving the top for a paddling jacket.

2 hours ago, gyork said:

Years later, I've noted a leaky right lower leg/boot seepage, and can't locate specific (or diffuse?) water entry.

Assuming your suit has socks, turning the suit inside out, then filling the bottom of the leg with water should let you perform your own at-home water test.  However, if instead of a pin hole, you then find a wide area leaking and bubbling up I would suspect fabric delamination.  Gore-Tex buys us new suits because delamination is not a repairable failure.

1 hour ago, David M said:

DWR deficiency can make one think there's a leak.

DWR "deficiency" is also what makes it possible for me to enjoy wearing a drysuit in July and August.  It feels kind of like wearing a wet long sleeve cotton shirt.  Wearing a drysuit with fresh DWR during July and August is not so pleasant.

Jim, if you splash water on your DWR-treated garment, and the water beads up and rolls off "like water off a duck's back", that's a sign that the hydrophobic coating is working. The D in DWR stands for "not very Durable", and it eventually wears off. Once that happens, water wets out the outer fabric, basically closing the pores on the outside, and the ability of the waterproof/breathable membrane to pass water vapor (sweat) drops dramatically.

Here's a thread from earlier this year:

Restoring Durable Water Repellant (DWR) coating on drysuits and paddling gear - General Message Board - NSPN Message Board

I just attempted an indoor drysuit water test. Tied off the neck and one sleeve, strapped the other sleeve over the bathtub spout, and turned on the water. The shower came on instead, and soaked me, the drysuit, and my nice dry test surface. ?

39 minutes ago, Dan Foster said:

I just attempted an indoor drysuit water test. Tied off the neck and one sleeve, strapped the other sleeve over the bathtub spout, and turned on the water. The shower came on instead, and soaked me, the drysuit, and my nice dry test surface. ?

You get what you pay for ?

Because I was getting wet inside my 12 year old Kokatat GMER, I sent it off for a dunk test, along with a request for new wrist gaskets. I was sorta kinda hoping that it'd delaminated as getting a new drysuit in a different color scheme would be fun.

I paid, as I have before, for the dunk test and, potentially, the gasket replacements including the neck which, unbeknownst to me, was about to rip.

The drysuit came back, new gaskets and all, with patches in all the presumably right places. Evidently, 2010 was a banner year for black, GMER drysuits as two friends and one coach, who bought their drysuits that year, have yet to have them delaminate.

In honor of a prayer from the Iron Islands in "Game of Thrones", I use the phrase '"What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger."' when referring to my drysuit.

17 hours ago, Dan Foster said:

if you splash water on your DWR-treated garment, and the water beads up and rolls off

My new warranty replacement suit beads up nicely. I guess I'll revisit this if it stops.