Cold Water Workshop & Paddle - Sat Nov 19th @ 9am

rfolster

We will be holding a Cold Water Workshop to allow members to learn about paddling in colder water and weather, including clothing options, gear choices, trip planning, and more.  This will be an active workshop, with opportunities to actually go for a swim or two to test theories and gear, as well as managing one's comfort and safety after an immersion-event.

Date: Saturday, November 19th
Start Time: Workshop will start at 9am until about lunchtime
Paddle: Depending on weather and participants, we will paddle around the area until around 4pm.  Details decided at beach.
Registration: Go to this calendar event and click the GOING button.

What to bring:

• Drysuit - If you don't have a drysuit, please let us know and we will try to get you a loaner.
  • Hats, gloves, boots or water shoes.  Bring options to discuss what works and what doesn't.
  • Wool or synthetic under layers and socks (no cotton).
  • Paddling gear (PFD, spray skirt, etc) and boat, too!
  • Lunch, including a hydrating beverage, a separate hot beverage if possible, and snacks you can eat while in your kayak.
  • A type of wind-cover, such as a tarp, tent fly, or just an oversized jacket
  • Some kind of waterproof ground insulation to sit or lay on, like a yoga mat, Crazy-Creak (or similar) chair, or something else.
  • Be creative on what you bring, and be prepared to find out what might work and what won't.

VOLUNTEERS: If you would prefer to be a facilitator rather than a participant, please contact me to discuss details.

Suzanne, let's see if we can locate a suit for you.  Based on the chart below, what size do you think would fit best?  As far as footwear, I recommend getting neoprene-style boots at least one-size larger than typical to allow for the suit sock as well as warm and comfy socks!  KTP and REI are good options among others.  If you prefer to wait until after the workshop to figure out what footwear to purchase, that should be fine, too.

Women's (in)

On 11/8/2022 at 3:40 PM, rfolster said:

We will be holding a Cold Water Workshop to allow members to learn about paddling in colder water and weather, including clothing options, gear choices, trip planning, and more.  This will be an active workshop, with opportunities to actually go for a swim or two to test theories and gear, as well as managing one's comfort and safety after an immersion-event.

Date: Saturday, November 19th
Start Time: Workshop will start at 9am until about lunchtime
Paddle: Depending on weather and participants, we will paddle around the area until around 4pm.  Details decided at beach.
Registration: Go to this calendar event and click the GOING button.

What to bring:

• Drysuit - If you don't have a drysuit, please let us know and we will try to get you a loaner.
  • Hats, gloves, boots or water shoes.  Bring options to discuss what works and what doesn't.
  • Wool or synthetic under layers and socks (no cotton).
  • Paddling gear (PFD, spray skirt, etc) and boat, too!
  • Lunch, including a hydrating beverage, a separate hot beverage if possible, and snacks you can eat while in your kayak.
  • A type of wind-cover, such as a tarp, tent fly, or just an oversized jacket
  • Some kind of waterproof ground insulation to sit or lay on, like a yoga mat, Crazy-Creak (or similar) chair, or something else.
  • Be creative on what you bring, and be prepared to find out what might work and what won't.

VOLUNTEERS: If you would prefer to be a facilitator rather than a participant, please contact me to discuss details.

I just joined NSPN  & plan on attending the cold water workshop. I am interested in borrowing a drysuit. I would need a small. Please let ne know if one is available as soon as possible. I have a farmer jane drysuit, 3mm. I am in the process of choosing a drysuit to purchase.

Paula,

Have you ever put on a dry suit with all of the fleece layers and warm socks you will need underneath it? AKA have you ever tried one on with all the kit? I would do so before you purchase! Unless you are 110-  120 lbs I'd question a size small.

Karen year round paddler on Lake Champlain and ocean whenever I can get to it!