CANCELLED due to wind forecast FULL MOON paddle, Oct. 9, Gloucester Harbor ++

eneumeier

So frustrating, but I'm watching the westerly winds create whitecaps on Ipswich Bay and this forecast is too risky for paddling in the dark:

This Afternoon
W wind around 15 kt, with gusts as high as 23 kt. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
Tonight
WNW wind 5 to 7 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt after midnight. Mostly clear. Seas 1 ft or less.

Hopefully another month!

Liz

After the delightful full moon paddle at MDI, we should do it again.

Sunday, October 9

sunset at  6:12 PM (Nautical twilight 7:13 PM)

moonrise at 6:20 PM

low tide: 5:32 PM

high tide: 11:50 PM

Launch Location:  "The Greasy Pole" - boat ramp at the downtown end of Stacy Boulevard.

The plan is to launch at 4 PM, and paddle for a couple of hours before the moon rise. The route will be based on conditions. Possibilities include:

1) paddle out the west side of Gloucester Harbor, past Norman's Woe to Magnolia for a short break. Watch the moon rise out of the ocean on the way back.

2) noodle through the harbor, land at lighthouse beach (just past the Annisquam yacht club), walk out to the end of Dogbar breakwater to watch the moon rise out of the ocean. Return to boats and paddle back. (Note:  It likely will be VERY cold on the breakwater.)

3) paddle straight out Gloucester Harbor, around Dogbar breakwater to Brace's Cove.  Watch the moon rise out of the ocean. Paddle back. (Note, the landing spot will have lots of boulders.)

But wait, there's more! 

Come early to walk the boulevard and see the dazzling dahlias. Watch the first video:  https://generousgardeners.org/ 

Stay late and have a great meal right across the street at Yella  https://www.yellaonthewater.com/menu-gloucester (This is where I discovered MOROCCAN SHAKSHOUKA.) They will be closing the following weekend so it may be crowded and we'll need a head count to make a reservation.

Post interest here.

Liz

Edited by eneumeier

Great Idea, I would love to come!

But, unfortunately something has come up and I won’t be able to make it. Sorry to miss it, it sounds wonderful.

Edited by BethS
Not able to make it.

John will joyfully join this paddle. Ginger, his spouse, will join us at dinner — so, please include we two for MOROCCAN SHAKSHOUKA in your reservation at Yella On The Water. 

Thanks, Liz.

Regrettably, John and Ginger find themselves unable to attend, as previously announced. Happily, Rhode Island will also have a full moon on Sunday, upon whose rising we will raise a cheer for you all.

• eneumeier changed the title to CANCELLED due to wind forecast FULL MOON paddle, Oct. 9, Gloucester Harbor ++