FRIDAY Lunch Paddle, Sept 9, 2022 @ Riverhead Beach

Joseph Berkovitz

Wait, wait, hold on... is this allowed? Is it OK to have a FRIDAY Lunch Paddle? That sounds wrong and possibly illegal. Also, many NSPN folks will be away in Bar Harbor at the annual retreat. But I did google this question and no one on the internet said I couldn't do it. How's that for a justification? If you want to do something questionable, this sketchy rationale may also work for you.

(My backup reason is that I may still be recovering from some minor oral surgery on Wednesday and I don't want to schedule and then cancel a paddle. If your heart is set on paddling Wednesday, PM me and perhaps I'll be doing fine and going out anyway.)

Riverhead Beach is no longer charging parking fees, and it should be a fine venue for conditions Friday. We'll finally be seeing the return of high pressure with gentle winds in the morning, a sea breeze in the PM and likely some nice long swells from Hurricane Earl south of Bermuda.

Let's meet up at 9:30 am at the Riverhead parking lot in Marblehead (see map location) with an aim to depart around 10:00 am. 

Here's the registration link:https://forms.gle/2s69AYNhPbGZKLFd7

You can get tide information, charts and weather forecasts for the area here: 

https://coastalpaddling.com/42.51191/-70.84620/13?tides=y&date=202209091000

Tides are nice for launching:

04:46 am low -0.81
10:00 am   8.85
11:02 am high 9.54
05:00 pm low -0.24
11:20 pm high 10.77

We'll pick an appropriate route based on conditions and the group's preference as per the usual improvised process.

To join the trip you must be a paid-up NSPN member, and have signed the club participant waiver for this season. Your signup information will only be shared with other members on the trip.

Covid-19 paddling: this trip requires paddlers to be vaccinated/boosted against Covid-19 and symptom-free, as rescues or first aid may require close physical contact.

Trip level: WLPs do not have a specific level. All properly equipped members are welcome: please bring boats with rigged deck lines, bulkheads, spray skirts, and dress for immersion. For this trip a helmet is recommended also.

NOTE: The Wednesday Lunch Paddles are cooperative adventures, not guided trips. We encourage paddlers to make their own independent decision about their comfort level with conditions at the time of the paddle. Each participant is responsible for her/his own safety. Don’t assume the trip initiators are smarter, stronger, better at rough water, more attractive, or more skilled paddlers than you are. For more information, see this description of our trip philosophy from the NSPN web site. 

Please PM me if you have questions or if you haven’t paddled with us before.

Hope to see you there!

Edited by Joseph Berkovitz

6 hours ago, Joseph Berkovitz said:

Nancy: Yes, you’re definitely signed up. At the end of the signup you should have seen a confirmation message on your screen. 

I will be sending an email to participants later this morning and then everyone will be  in on the action. 

Great, thanks. I got the email, but not the conf. after sign up. Might be on my end, but it went right back to beginning (of new form).