Gloucester Schooner ("Shooner") paddle

JanetL

Sept 3, 6 of us headed out from Pavilion beach (Gloucester) to check out the Gloucester Schooner festival (potentially pronounced Shooner or Sooner, if you are from the midwest). 

https://www.maritimegloucester.org/schooner-festival

We started by looping around the inner harbor to look at some of the docked boats - lots of action! Fishing boats, rowing boats, launches, giant schooners - really busy for pre-10am. A few docked schooners had long lines of people waiting in line for tours. Maybe next time... 

After the sightseeing, we headed over to the pocket beach by the breakwater for some swimming/rolling, and lunch #1, before heading north along the coast for a scenic paddle with circling schooners in the background. Despite the very tame forecast of seas < 1 foot, it was actually quite "sporty" and everyone had a good time playing in the waves. 

Thanks to Barb, Jody, Dana, Vlad, and Steph for joining me on this beautiful day. I hope the fireworks were worth the wait! 

106988703_9-3.jpg

Edited by JanetL

What a fun and interesting day!! . Fun exploring the real working harbor of Gloucester and seeing the gorgeous, sleek “shooners” ?.   Inspiring observing Stephanie and Janet practicing bow rescues and Dana helping Stephanie with her rolls. Go Stephanie! 
 I learned that my Cetus takes the waves great and to NOT lead her into the rocky beach landing by her bow with incoming boat wake waves!!  Entertainment for the onlookers anyway. ?. Thanks so much for planning this terrific paddle Janet.