Kayaking For a Cause Fundraiser

I have kept this one pretty close to my chest but I am at least ready to share some of what happened. On July 23rd, a good friend and I witnessed a horrific accident. A young girl named Julia Stanley fell 40 feet from a waterfall while camping with her family in a remote area of Maine. Her mother, my friend, and I immediately removed her from the shallow pool of water where she landed. At the time Julia's condition was dire. Through my training in Wilderness First Aid, I was able to get Julia breathing again. Unfortunately, we did not have cell phone service in the area and I had to activate emergency services via my Garmin In-Reach. Julia is a strong and very lucky girl who although is healing, does have a long road to recovery.

On Saturday September 17th I will be holding a Coastal Kayaking Workshop in Portland Maine, 100% of the proceeds will be given directly to Julia to help pay for medical costs.  The course will focus on coastal play including surfing, rock gardening and incident management.  This course is open to all levels of abilities.  The cost of the course will be $165 per person and will be limited to 10 people. We will start at 9am and finish around 3pm.  If you would like to sign up please contact me directly at Contact@Seakayaknewengland.com.

If you can’t attend the course but would like to donate a fundraiser has been organized to help raise money to cover both current and future medical costs. Please consider either attending this fundraiser or donating to her gofundme here: https://www.gofundme.com/f/julie-stanley-injury-recovery?

• 2 weeks later...