Mtndan

Mtndan

Oh on Friday, I paddled out to the Essex Bayside of Crane Beach. A Ranger came by and asked me to leave. He gave me a copy of the trustees rules for Crane Beach. One rule was you cannot launch kayaks, boats, paddle boards. He suggested that I anchor my kayak off the beach. I don’t know how to do this. Can anyone advise me.

• 3 weeks later...

I did look up the rules and found: "No watercraft of any kind can be launched from anywhere on the Crane Estate. This includes canoes, kayaks, and sailboards."  I do not think the intent of this rule is to keep people in kayaks from landing on the beach. My thought is that they don't want you to drive up to the parking lot with a kayak on your roof and carry it across the beach to launch it. The rule does not say no landing on the beach, only no launching. So if you land, you just can't launch. Would you be like Charley on the MTA and not able to get off? It might be worth a call to the Trustees to discuss. I've landed on that beach numerous times and never had anyone tell me to leave, or to anchor my kayak off-shore. That's utterly ridiculous.