UNH Seakayaks Workshop

Jim Snyder

Bob Levine and I have been working with Meg Iverson and Ian Ayer from the UNH Recreation Department to do some seakayak workshops this fall. The details are still in the works but the plan is to have an introductory session at the UNH pool or a freshwater location, to be followed by an ocean trip. We need help. Bob will be the lead instructor but we need people who are willing to both bring an extra boat, paddle and skirt to loan a participant, and to be willing to assist in getting people comfortable with wet exits and assisted rescues. These events will occur in October.

Ask any questions here but if you want to be involved please contact me by other means so I can develop a list.

Before I can decide I have a few basic questions.

Are these commercial instruction sessions or are they being offered free of charge? If the latter, are they being offered by UNH to the public in general or is this purely an NSPN thing? Lastly, are instructors and helpers going to be fully insured?

thanks!

Same questions as Joe.  May be available to help. I have an extra boat, PFD, paddle, but do not have an extra spray skirt at the moment.

Joe and Sue, we're working on those details now and I want to wait until I know for sure rather than talk about options. I can say I have been  assuming it will be open to students only with no fee. UNH does open some of it's programs to "community members" for a fee, some of us have attended pool sessions this way, but that's not how I see this going. 

I thought this was something for the club, since it's posted under Trips / NSPN Events. But it sounds like it's only open to tuition-paying UNH students only (for which they pay no additional fee). If that's true, I think I'll pass. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Joe

It's a club event in that it is a collaboration between UNH and NSPN and  that it gives club members an opportunity to "pay it forward" by introducing some young people to seakayaking. That being said it may make sense to have it be totally under the UNH umbrella, in which case it would make sense to move the thread to "Events Sponsored Externally"

• 1 month later...