lube for sticky rudder

Batz

I just picked up an older Dagger Magellan and the rudder is tough to raise/lower. Seems like it needs some lube, but I seem to recall that WD40 is not good for plastic. My choices are graphite, white lube, or trip to the hardware store. Thoughts?

• 3 months later...

I use silicone spray to free up my rudder at times at least once a year.

For me I turn the kayak upside down and spray it into the Skeg box

and move the slide back and forth also lifting the skeg up and down.

The trick is how to get silicone into the rudder tube. try working a little at a time.

My $.02 is that it is more important to keep the cable/tube clean than it is to lubricate it.  I believe the cable/tube assembly does not need to be lubricated to work well and when it gets sticky it is usually the result of grime getting into the tube.  Definitely do not want to use product to lube the cable/tube which tends to retain/collect/attract dirt/sand as that will just gum up the works.

Once had occasion to drag boat across mud flat,  the skeg box was clogged with muck, and  there was no way the skeg would move.  Thorough cleaning with hose  along with moving skeg up and down under spray from hose did the trick.

Ed Lawson

Who since has paid more attention to tide tables and charts.