Skills practice session #2 - July 10

JanetL

Grab your thinking cap and join us on July 10 for our second skills session of the year "Understanding the Ocean Environment". This is open to all NPSN members, new and seasoned. We anticipate running from about 9am-1pm.

This session will be held at Riverhead Beach in Marblehead. There is a parking fee for non-residents but  no advanced parking registration required,  Odiorne State Park Boat Ramp, Rye, NH.  

Sign up through Googleforms is required to attend and attendance is limited. Sign up here: https://forms.gle/ZCkR3k2rqXLCUxfB9

You must be an NSPN member and an ACA annual or 1-day member to attend. Hope to see you there!

Thank you, Janet. Could you please expand on the goals of "Understanding the Ocean Environment?" 

I am subbing for Janet on 7/10 so I’ll respond - this session will cover assessing weather/tide predictions, trip planning, use of nautical charts, interacting with boat traffic and live observation of the environment we encounter that day. It’s unlike most of the other skills practice sessions in that it’s not about specific boat handling or paddling techniques.

Hope you can join us!

Assuming the sea state cooperates do you anticipate journey planning from say Ordione to Rye being a part of this class? Also, I'm very interested in local knowledge--anyone been there recently? I was there pre-covid and remember waiting for the gate to be opened at 8am?

Is there still space?

Hi Karen - yes there is still space and you can use the signup link above. 

There will be a journey planning component but I can’t guarantee it will be to Rye or any particular place, we will make choices based on conditions on that day. 

I have been there recently as have others in the session. We will be contacting the park in advance to ensure the gate is open on time. 

J

As for questions about the gate opening at Odiorne...  It has been a real problem.  About 20 cars with kayaks on top waited about 45 minutes last week for the gate to finally open at 8:45.  I talked with the asst park manager, who said they're having problem hiring folks - with pay $12 an hour!  She hopes it will improve after the Fourth, with college students and high school students more available to work.  I think planning on arriving at 9 am is reasonable.  Joe, no point in contacting park in advance to ensure the gate opens on time.  It opens when it opens.  If the person who's supposed to be there isn't there...well, that can't be predicted in advance.  They're doing the best that they can!

At the first Skills Session in Odiorne the other weekend, we were approached by the park ranger afterwards to specifically inform us that we can call ahead of time to let them know that a large group would be expecting to enter, and they would make the Odiorne opening a priority. Probably not a guarantee, but perhaps worth trying at least. 

28 minutes ago, rfolster said:

At the first Skills Session in Odiorne the other weekend, we were approached by the park ranger afterwards to specifically inform us that we can call ahead of time to let them know that a large group would be expecting to enter, and they would make the Odiorne opening a priority. Probably not a guarantee, but perhaps worth trying at least. 

Must have been Kim, the nice woman I spoke with to start the day.  I didn't know she'd talked to any of us after.  Good to know!