Wednesday Lunch Paddle 6/29 - Granite Pier, Rockport

prudenceb

Joe and Bob are away, off in the wilds of wherever, but the WLP's must go on!

Arrive no later than 9:15ish am for a 10am launch from Granite Pier, Rockport.  (Granite Pier is an easy all-tide launch, but cars must be parked in upper lot, so there's some time time-consuming to-ing and and fro-ing before we get on the water.). There is a $12 (cash only) parking fee.  As of today conditions look nice for hitting Straitsmouth and Thacher Islands, with lunch possibly on Milk Island.

Please read boilerplate in one of Joe's old WLP postings for boat, vaccination and so on requirements.  

I don't have Joe's fancy Google sign-up and waiver form - we'll do it the old-fashioned way with pen and paper at the launch.  But it would be good to know who's coming, so please post on this thread if you plan to join.

Prudence

Edited by prudenceb

Prudence, 

https://thacherisland.org/visit-us/

Groups larger than 5 boats must call the keepers in advance with their expected arrival time. A $5 landing fee is required for each person arriving by kayak. The islands close to the public at 5pm.

Would you like me to call? If we launch at 10 what time would we expect to be there?

This was also good info: 

All persons over 14 will be charged a $5 fee to land on either Thacher Island or Straitsmouth Island. Landing fees will be payable in the form of cash, check, Venmo or credit card to the keeper on duty on the boat ramp.

Fee waiver: The landing fee is waived for all passengers who arrive at either island on the Thacher Island launch, or for those arriving by kayak or private boat with proof that they are Rockport residents, paid-up Thacher Island Association members, Mass Audubon members, holders of National Park Service America the Beautiful passes, or holders of a valid Federal Duck Stamp.

Jodie, Thanks for looking this up.  I wasn't actually planning on landing there…just doing the circumnav…with lunch likely on Milk, but if folks voice an interest, some could always stop there.  My knees aren't thrilled with it!  (But good to know that with National Park Pass, landing fee is waived!)

If folks do want to stop it would likely be around 11 am…

Edited by prudenceb

Just arrived home from a STELLAR PADDLE, launching from Granite Pier in Rockport and circumnavigating Straightsmouth and Thacher Islands and landing, for a bit, on Milk Island, with our good friends: Prudence, Sue, Shari, Susan, Jody, David, Ricardo and Mike!  Thank you SO MUCH for planning, leading and being so encouraging, easy going and fun to be with Prudence!  TERRIFIC GROUP!! The weather was warm and sunny with a light cooling breeze and the ocean was absolutely serene with some gentle swells for easy play along the granite boulders. Boy, Maine has nothing on the spectacular beauty of our north shore!  As Always, some surprises along the way-a big headed grey seal watched us from a safe distance at the North end of Thacher and a darling young harbor seal played in the waves off Milk island and glided under some of our boats seemingly curious. Sad was seeing a large number of dead seagulls on Milk island (why we didn't stay long) and another gull who had apparently swallowed a fisherman's bait, hook and line, was rescued by Sue (as it was caught on the line which was caught on something underwater) and David cut as much of the line away but it will had the hook and line probably swallowed. The gull climbed onto Sue's boat and stayed there until she paddled it to shore. Hopes it will survive.   The paddle back along the western shore just after high tide was a lot of fun and we all returned to our take-out super happy and grateful!  Looking forward to our next adventure together.

Wonderful day but for beach littered with dead gulls.  I actually found a form to fill out for MassWildlife, a Massachusetts state agency that is asking for reports of sick or dead seabirds.  Apparently they are tracking Avian Influenza.  I gave the location - Milk Island.  They asked for the number of dead birds.  I said the beach was littered with them, but the form required a number, so I just said 25.  Sue's hooked gull was another sad part of the day.  Other than the bird issues…it was a most beautiful day.  Perfect weather, mellow paddle, great group.  Thanks to everyone for joining!

Prudence