Isles of Shoals Shuttle

Jim Snyder

Planning on doing at least a couple of shuttle trips to Isles of Shoals with Jack Farrell of https://www.seacoastmaritimecharters.com/. The idea is to eliminate the long crossings to have more time to explore the islands. This year will be a little different from last, with a pickup and dropoff at the Kittery Town Dock in  Pepperell Cove. The cost has gone up to $40 per person and boat, which was expected because of the huge increase in cost of diesel. Watch this space if you're interested, I'll be looking for favorable conditions and hoping to post a trip in July. This should be considered a level 3 trip, even in mild conditions. Here's a trip report from last year and a few pictures.

IMG_2838.thumb.jpg.e096e2234ae29904d8f587c2b3769eb6.jpg

IMG_2839.thumb.jpg.86850d2acc9a4b3ffa3abf318e8d426c.jpg

IMG_2842.thumb.jpg.087422f6f8dd7a41de87d7fb42eda5ad.jpg

IMG_2845.thumb.jpg.080c9cd2d0453ca529b20838618ef51e.jpg

IMG_2850.thumb.jpg.1eeab6b3d6bf6d0bacbca0dfcc3f694a.jpg

IMG_2858.thumb.jpg.e7a26451da55e20b6184792de6291a81.jpg

IMG_2862.thumb.jpg.fa19fd3fe25418c4c66026324e0bbe62.jpg

IMG_2844.jpg

Hi,

I am interested. Condotions permitting if other paddlers are interested in paddling the crossing I would do that instead of the shuttle.

I am in the area the first half of July, travelling in the second half.

Best regards

1 hour ago, Phil Gassin said:

Condotions permitting if other paddlers are interested in paddling the crossing I would do that instead of the shuttle.

To avoid confusion, could you please start a separate thread for those wishing to paddle the crossing? 

• 3 weeks later...

David Mercer, Prudence Baxter and I did a test run of this trip with the change in pickup locations and parking from last year. It was a beautiful day and the main takeaway was that even with very mild predicted conditions, the outside of the islands and the shoals can get pretty sporty. I'm watching for good conditions to post a trip soon, probably on a Sunday.

vlcsnap-2022-07-16-09h07m18s796.thumb.jpg.23a3466bbbc4916ffb9702647502a4b3.jpg

Jim asked me to post a link to charts and other nav resources from my site; here is a link:

https://coastalpaddling.com/42.99925/-70.66681/12

Click any chart rectangle to download a PDF. There is a detailed chart of the isles called "Isles of Shoals" and a "Bigelow Bight" chart that covers the area between IoS and the Rye/Portsmouth coast. Also links to weather, tides etc.

• 2 weeks later...

This trip is going to happen soon, on a Sunday, as soon as favorable conditions are predicted. I'm posting now since this Sunday, 8/7, is a possibility but only if the chance of thunder and lightning gets out of the forecast, which is not likely. 

This year the trip cost is $50 which includes a gratuity for Jack. Pickup is at 7am at Kittery Town Dock. You have to be there in time to drop off equipment and move your car to the school .4 miles away so it's a very early start. Please reply here if you would like to go this Sunday or next. 

Edit: Just checked Windy after posting and this Sunday is not looking good. Let's hope for next weekend! 

Conditions look favorable as of this morning for this Sunday, 8/14. Light winds and 2' swell will likely make for sporty conditions on the outside. Please message me if you would like to attend, I will start a group message for participants.

Forecast is looking good for this trip and there's still room on the boat. We will be picked up at the Kittery Town Dock in Pepperell Cove at 7:15. You have to arrive in time to drop off equipment and walk back .4 mile from parking at the school so it's an early start. Message me if you want to be added to the list and include information for a float plan. Club waiver is required. 

Friend Susan Rask, paid member, experienced paddler, will sign everything, is trying to post here and to PM you asking if she can join us too.

Having no luck from her iphone so I'm asking in her behalf.

If there is room please add her. She will be back to her laptop where it is easier to navigate this site for those of us struggling with our phones, later. 

thanks Jim!

22 hours ago, Barbara Ryan said:

Friend is trying to post here and to PM you asking if she can join us too. Having no luck from her iphone so I'm asking in her behalf.

Please have her check to make sure that she is actually signed into her account when trying to post or PM, since the system needs to verify active membership to allow those options.  If she is not actively signed in, she will appear as a guest and have restricted access.