Manhattan circumnavigation currents / planning tool

Manhattan circumnavigation currents and planning tool:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1wbABUdbEe0yu62hwT9v2BeL9RSU9wx431bL52AvprsM/edit

Hey folks above please find a link to a Google Slides deck with some notes regarding the currents in the “rivers” / tidal estuaries surrounding Manhattan.  I made this following a trip around Manhattan last week (June 13) with another paddler who like me is not from NYC.  We did an OK job of managing the current in our favor (we got the critical East River right) but could have done better.  

I found this to be a technically challenging paddle with exposure to a number of risks, I’d be happy to discuss with anyone planning a trip down there however I would also say that joining a guided tour is a good way to do this for the first time.  

If anyone sees any errors please let me know, and if this post becomes a place where people share warnings / advice  about this particular route that’s great. 

Did this in 2004 with a very large group which split into multiple smaller groups according to speed. We started at Liberty State Park, Black Tom Island, in NJ, rounding the Statue of LIberty - truly an amazing experience. I remember the terror of the ferries on the East River. The Harlem was just as dreary as I had imagined. We had plenty of time to stop for lunch at the end of the Harlem, waiting for the tide to turn on the Hudson. Hudson was really long- it's a long day - but the current was wild and you definitely wanted to stay clear of dock pilings along the shore. Very memorable trip. We had no guide, just experienced paddlers (Ed Gertler, author of kayaking guidebooks for the mid-Atlantic, was there in his C-1) who figured out a game plan. Dan Falk was the organizer - he posted on many kayaking forums on the East Coast and invited anyone who wanted to come. I recall it as about 50 people but that seems unlikely. A lot, anyway, and everyone made it around although the difference in finishing times was at least an hour.

No we went clockwise, flood up the East, slack at Harlem, catching Hudson on the ebb. A little crazy trying to keep the group together, but it all worked out. The city is prettier from the water, seems cleaner.