Second annual surfski workshop!

Jim Snyder

I've created a Doodle Poll for the group to indicate which dates work best.  Reminder that the expectation is for each participant to have a surfski and wing paddle for the session -- I have an Epic V8 and an Epic Mid wing paddle that someone can borrow (together or separately), and my friend Andy has a ski and I believe an extra wing paddle to use as well.

Link to Doodle Poll: https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/boYPNyKe

Matt

Edited by mattdrayer
Forgot Doodle link!!!

I just tried the Doodle poll with a test email and it seemed to work fine.  Anyway, we haven't had much more chatter about dates, and we're too close to this weekend for participants to line up skis + paddles if they don't own them outright, so let's aim for the weekend of 7/16-17 to give people more time to prepare for the session.  I'm currently available both Saturday and Sunday mornings (9am-12pm), so whatever works best for the group is fine with me.

Matt

I'm now available only on the morning of Saturday, July 16th, so that will be the date of our Intro to Surfski session.  Please let me know if you are able to attend and we can start up a new private thread for the group to work out logistics and answer questions.

Matt

Sounds good @Raymond Allen!  I see from earlier in the thread you have your own ski + paddle, which is great.  So far it's just you and me, which means you get a morning of free 1:1 surfski coaching unless some other club members want to take advantage of this amazing opportunity ;) 

I will start up a private message thread on Friday 7/15 for participants -- until then everyone should feel free to ask questions, etc. on this open thread.

Matt

Reminder that tomorrow (Friday 7/15) I will start a private group thread for participants in Saturday’s surfski  workshop.  To join the group you may indicate your interest by posting in this thread or sending me a direct message.

Matt

The private discussion thread has been started.  If you are not currently on the thread, I am not expecting you to attend tomorrow's session.  If you would like to attend you may post here or send me a direct message and I will add you to the private thread.

Matt

Edited by mattdrayer

And a good time was had by all!  We learned about surfskis and related equipment/kit, experienced the satisfying feeling of a perfect wing paddle stroke, mounted our skis in shallow and deep water, and whooped for joy while gliding smoothly and effortlessly across the water, picking up a few waves on the way back from some generous boaters returning to the harbor.  Truly a great morning!

For those of you who were unable to attend, please feel free to PM me any time and we can schedule a free 1:1 session.  I've got an extra ski, paddle, PFD, and plenty of vacation time, so what are you waiting for ;).

Matt

Edited by mattdrayer

That’s indeed extremely generous of you! I won’t be able to take you up on it until sometime in late August, but if it’s still an option then I would love to give it a try!

Beth