Second annual surfski workshop!

Jim Snyder

Matt Drayer has graciously offered to do this workshop again this year. If you've always wondered what paddling a surfski is like this is a great opportunity. Matt may also be the clubs leading expert on the mechanics of the forward stroke. We hope to do this again from Fisherman's Beach sometime in July. Reply here if interested.

surfski.jpg.5a8e65bb9ef92e207f305c103c142b21.jpg

Last year was a lot of fun!  If you have your own ski and wing paddle to use that is ideal -- any model is fine.  I have an Epic V8 for someone to borrow, and I will also bring my V10 double for the group to tool around in.  I have an extra Epic wing paddle as well.  I will additionally connect with my friend Andy who (if available) can bring an extra ski + paddle, too.  At the moment I'm looking good for all weekends in July aside from 7/23-24 -- that is the weekend of the Blackburn Challenge ;).

@BethS if there is interest I would be happy to hold another session in August or September -- I'm also always up for a 1:1 session -- late afternoons / early evenings are best.  A few people took me up on that last year.

And of course, there are Tuesday night surfski get togethers all summer long at Lynch Park in Beverly.  We do race, but we also have people who show up just to hang out and paddle.

Matt

Edited by mattdrayer

Very interested. This is the Fisherman's Beach in Swampscott? I've only used a wing paddle once for about 5 minutes. Then the guy I swapped with decided he really didn't like my Werner Cyprus . . .  Guess the catch is completely different . . .

5 hours ago, Karen Volkman said:

Guess the catch is completely different . . .

That it is!  It might be possible to use a high-angle paddle instead of a wing for the session, such as a Werner Ikelos, but a touring paddle like the Cyprus won’t do you justice for the session.  The wing paddle really is the perfect match for a surfski.

Matt

It might be good to think about drumming up some wing paddle loaners. I know there are a fair few people in the club who have wings for use with their sea kayaks. 

the one time I tried a surfski I used a Cyprus first and then an Epic wing paddle. There was no comparison, they were completely different experiences. The wing worked so much better with the ski. 

Matt,

The friend I borrowed the wing paddle from uses what he called a small face (680?). He views 5 knots as a recreational pace and 6 knots for racing.  He says he can keep this pace for 6 hours without tearing his shoulder.

He lives in West Virginia so I'm afraid not a source of wing paddles to loan.

6kts is approximately 6.9mph so I agree with the speed estimates although the ski make/model and of course the conditions also have a lot to do with it.

At our Tuesday night race this week we used Grays Rock as our turning mark (5.25mi course).  The winds were 16-18mph and the seas ~3ft.  I averaged 5.25mph on the upwind leg and 7.75 on the downwind leg, with a few 1/4mi splits at 8+ mainly thanks to the wind and catching some great waves.  The wing paddle enables you to dig really hard to get on the waves in those conditions, almost as if paddling an outrigger canoe.  I also fell off the ski once :) we will discuss rudder choices and remounting during the session.  

I also agree that it’s entirely possible for one to paddle all day long with little risk of tearing something, however this in my opinion is less about the wing paddle itself and more about maintaining proper paddling form.  We will cover that as well.

Matt

On 6/22/2022 at 5:47 AM, Joseph Berkovitz said:

It might be good to think about drumming up some wing paddle loaners. I know there are a fair few people in the club who have wings for use with their sea kayaks. 

the one time I tried a surfski I used a Cyprus first and then an Epic wing paddle. There was no comparison, they were completely different experiences. The wing worked so much better with the ski. 

I will try to get to this session but unsure. I have an Epic Mid Wing from my ski days that I could loan. ActuallyI want to sell it and get a bigger wing but would like to try another wing first. For my size the Mid just seems small and I find my Lendal Nordkapp faster. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's July!  Checking in on this thread to see what the group is thinking re: dates -- I'm not sure of the best way to coordinate -- @Jim Snyderthoughts?  I'm looking good for Sat + Sun of this coming weekend.  Sunday looks to be the better of the days with respect to the long-range forecast but that will likely change over the next couple of days.  I'm also available July 16/17.  No matter the date we should aim for the morning, say 9am-12pm -- it's easier to find parking spots over there in the mornings vs. the afternoons.

Matt