6/11/22 Level 1 Ocean Introduction Trip Report

rfolster

This trip concluded the 2022 New To Sea Kayaking series starting with the spring workshop and including a lake session. We had six participants, with help from Jim Connors (thanks Jim!!), launching from Odiorne State Park boat ramp just around high tide.  It was a beautiful day for a shorter introductory trip that started out with an assisted reentry demonstration, then moved on to paddling against minimal ebb current under the Wentworth bridge just after slack.  We used Clampit Island as a base for review of some strokes before heading back down and riding the increasing ebb through before heading out to Frost Point Beach.

Once landed on the beach, we climbed onto the break wall and had a look out at what was supposed to be 2' seas at 9-second period.  We found the sea state to be more like 1', so everyone was game for heading outside and having a quick look around after reviewing the chart for where we were and where we had come from.  Once outside, it seemed as if the powerboat wakes were more active than the swell, so we took the opportunity to have a look at the shoal just SE of the break wall before heading back in against the current flowing out through the harbor entrance.

On the way back to the launch, we came to the dreaded mudflats.  I know that the channel through the flats is towards the right side as you approach, but we were unable to find it, and ended up having to trudge through the mud for a number of yards before finding deep water again.  I have paddled this area A LOT and this was a first for me, which was surprising, confusing, and frustrating.  However, when we approached the boat ramp near low tide, the typical mud field at the bottom of the ramp was actually a significant mud mound that I haven't seen before, so I wonder if there has been a more significant movement of sand in the area than usual.  I would be interested in hearing others assessment of this.  We decided to land in the gravel and seaweed closer to the bridge, and found the footing to generally be much better than the mud.

I had a fantastic day paddling with new people, and aside from a couple of unintentional out-of-boat experiences (to be expected), I hope everyone else did too.  I look forward to paddling with everyone again, and hope to meet even more new paddlers in the near future.

• rfolster changed the title to 6/11/22 Level 1 Ocean Introduction Trip Report