Solstice Paddle - Sat June 18th - Level 1 Group

rfolster

The Annual Solstice Paddle Returns!!

Date: Saturday June 18th, 2022
Location: Riverhead Beach, Marblehead (across street from Devereux Beach on the Marblehead neck)
Time: Ready to launch 9:30am, back for potluck by 4:00pm

Parking: Cost will be $20 cash per vehicle.

Level 1 Trip: Please click this link to see descriptions of the different trip levels.  This will be an introductory trip of just a couple of miles, and is geared to the newest ocean kayakers.  Depending on the number of participants, we might merge the Level 1 and Level 2 groups together.  We will have assigned leaders for this group who will be providing guidance as well as introducing participants to the concepts of cooperative group paddling (being a more involved participant).

PPPO: Tradition calls for a Post-Paddle-Pig-Out, where we all meet for a potluck gathering and share tales of the day, catch up with those we haven't seen lately, and make new friends.  We have rented the Garfield Pavilion which is located near the playground, and will gather there.

Requirements: Please note that this is a sea kayaking trip, so boats appropriate for the ocean are required.  I loosely define this as a boat with integral flotation front and rear (or added for skin-on-frame kayaks), deck lines around the majority of the perimeter, and cockpit coaming that accepts a spray skirt.  PFD's are required, as well as appropriate safety gear for your level of experience.  If you are unsure about your equipment or experience, feel free to reach out on the forum or directly to me for answers.

Participants: This trip is open to all active NSPN members (please email membership@nspn.org if you have any membership issues), regardless of experience.  Please be honest with your trip level selection, and be prepared for a possible adjustment based on group makeup.  If you are unsure about what trip level group to join, don't hesitate to ask.

Registration: Please POST TO THIS THREAD if you plan to join the this Level 1 group, and don't hesitate to let us know your experience level.  If you prefer to share privately, please click on my profile image, and then click the Message button to send me a private message.  Also let us know if you are attending the potluck, and what category of food you might bring, such as appetizer, main, side, desert, or snack (BYO beverage).

Hello Rob, I do plan to join you on June 18th. I think I am a level 1.5! I have a 16.5 Wilderness Tempest, and paddle with a greenland paddle. I used to do a lot of kayaking with the NJ Sea Kayaking group, but that was over 9 years ago. I was comfortable with wet exits, and had a few rescue skills. Since then I am afraid my kayaking skills have faded. Although I have been out some each season, really only on the calm water of the Great Bay estuary. I kind of feel like I am starting over, although I have all the gear. 

As far as potluck food - I will bring a salad. 

Looking forward to it!

Linda

Hey Linda, glad you are joining us. We will see who else joins in and watch the weather for the day to get a sense of how folks finally land into pods. Often the Level 1 and Level 2 can mix fairly well, but we will wait and see.  I expect discussions to earnestly get underway the week before the trip. 

Weather Update:  Forecast is indicating that Saturday should be sunny and seasonable, but a little breezy from the north, right down the harbor.

Trip IdeasI think this group might not leave the harbor, and could spend time exploring the west shore and working on boat control in the wind.