Castle Neck circumnav report

JanetL

After a year of trying, finally the parking situation, mid-day high tide, low winds, and work schedules aligned to make this loop possible.  8 NPSN paddlers were present - half Ipswich locals! (helpful in calming my "is this the right creek?" worries). We had a glorious day of bluebird skies, little wind, and friendly company. Despite Mike's baffling 3-foot wind wave prediction there there was not much swell to be found although there was a very interesting zipper going on partway down Crane's. Doug has the good idea to lunch on the very scenic back of Crane's rather than wait for Choate. Some folks were able to see baby osprey peeking over the edge of a nest hear Choate - sorry I missed that! 

The day finished with some successful rolls. Thanks to everyone who joined on this beautiful day. Hopefully it won't be another 5 years till I paddle this area again! 

D5B75D59-17BA-4743-ADD4-5117F6DE34AE.jpg

Thank you Janet for organizing such a fun paddle in my own backyard ("Light dawns on Marblehead").  There is no reason additional Ipswich paddles can not be had.

There is a put-in at Eagle Hill Landing and then you can park your car on Jefferies' Neck Road next to the high tide zone. A full description of how to do this is on Paddling.com > Go Paddling > Paddling Map.  There is not a residents only requirement for this stretch of road.  The trick is to plan your return to the car at high tide because you can paddle right up to it or visa versa.  Either way you have a short walk to the car on one end or the other but it's not bad.  Anyone can use the gravel ramp at Eagle Hill Landing, you just can't park there.