Deck mounted compasses

JohnHuth

Hi, All - 

I have a new boat (yay!) - but browsing the web, I found that deck-mounted compasses seem hard to come-by.    I saw one website 'said' that the popular Brunton model was discontinued.   Maybe I need to do some more digging, but any suggestions would be most welcome.   Worst case scenario: I cannibalize an old kayak that  I probably won't use much, but  I thought I'd ask if anyone has been up against this recently and has a solution. 

They are hard to get now. I advertised my interest as a buyer on this forum and someone eventually contacted me who had one to sell. 

I recently saw a new kayak using a Ritchie F-50 flush mount compass, mounted where a Brunton would normally go. I don’t know if the shape is compatible but it looked like a natural fit and the compass appears to be high quality. 

On 1/15/2022 at 11:25 AM, detorres said:

Once you have the compass, what have people done to mount it on a curved deck?

I have one with a piece of minicell foam attached to the bottom. Foam fits a deck curve and small clip bungies attach to the deck lines. I just have to remember to bring it as it is not permanently fixed in place.