Gaia app,

Paul Sylvester

I tried the free version for a hike yesterday and have questions. Since there are many Gaia users here I'll ask the following. I promise to find some tutorials also.

please note: I have a slight aversion to tech. used in nature and I am making progress.

I have the free version on my phone and my battery went from 90% to 60% on a one hour hike. The map and pointer was active and I had a cell signal. Afterwards I found "battery saving settings" but some were already set so not sure what difference it might make? Do you carry a battery back up? I might be out on a hike for eight hours, what then?

Trail maps show on my free version and I could save hikes and do way points. What is the advantage of the paid upgrade?

I might have set layers that I don't need. Seems just a topo that sows trails is enough?

I seldom have a cell signal up in the mountains. The GPS will still work I assume?  I assume that is because it is a true GPS and not using cell tower positioning?

Several questions mixed in here and thanks for the help.

Paul

6 hours ago, Paul Sylvester said:

I have the free version on my phone and my battery went from 90% to 60% on a one hour hike. The map and pointer was active and I had a cell signal. Afterwards I found "battery saving settings" but some were already set so not sure what difference it might make? Do you carry a battery back up? I might be out on a hike for eight hours, what then?

Trail maps show on my free version and I could save hikes and do way points. What is the advantage of the paid upgrade?

I might have set layers that I don't need. Seems just a topo that sows trails is enough?

I seldom have a cell signal up in the mountains. The GPS will still work I assume?  I assume that is because it is a true GPS and not using cell tower positioning?

Several questions mixed in here and thanks for the help.

Paul

First and foremost, enable airplane mode. The GPS function does not require cell tower service. Under settings, enable power (battery) saving mode. Close out all background apps.Enable Location Services for GAIA only, while in use.

If you find you are consuming too much battery life, consider using the phone for determining your position only, as in lost, off-trail, while hiking, or paddling in dense fog, rather than have it run continuously (recording your track).

I have only had issues with my phone shutting down while winter hiking, and now use a soft pouch that attaches to a lanyard around my neck, that suspends the pouched phone near my abdomen. Mike's link above answers a lot of your questions, and mentions using a chemical hand warmer that might  solve this same problem (no experience).

I've not used the free version, but if you can download topo maps, record routes, etc., you probably don't need a paid subscription. Perhaps the free version doesn't allow publishing of tracks?

I always use Gaia on the water and rarely have battery issues. When I do, its usually because I've left something on accidentally. Obviously a lot depends on how old your phone is. Also, I think you now need a paid version to get marine charts. I have a free version but was grandfathered in on the charts. I don't think there's an android version yet for Gaia but there are a couple other great apps that do.

• 3 weeks later...

Did a 5 mile hike yesterday and the battery was fine. 

Before the trip I set a route with way points on my pc. Then I plugged in my phone to the pc which seemed to sync it. 

At the trailhead the route showed and I started the app, track, route or whatever you call it.

It did record and is on my phone.

Trying to get what's on my phone to move to my PC for further analysis. It does not move when I plug my phone in. Is that a feature of the paid version?

thanks, Trying not to give up on this..lol

21 hours ago, mhabich said:

It will sync on your account without plugging anything in. Were you logged in to Gaia on phone and computer? 

Yes logged on both I believe . There was a delay and it did sync after a couple hours. thanks

Track (12/4/21, 9:04:53AM) | Gaia GPS

The track should show above. The route was pre programmed but we changed our direction and went counterclockwise. Ironically I was the only one using Gaia on this hike so no one could give advice.  

I will gladly buy the full program after I get better at this.

Thanks for the coaching!

Edited by Paul Sylvester