Cold Water Workshop Nov 20th (updated)

rfolster

As we get into the colder weather, along with it comes colder water, which presents serious dangers requiring thoughtful mitigation and management.  In this workshop, we will have both interactive discussion and active immersion opportunities to experience what works for cold water management, and maybe identify any areas of improvement.

Even if you don’t consider yourself a “winter paddler”, this workshop is just as useful (and maybe even more important) to prepare for the start of next season when spring temperatures begin to welcome us back outside while the water can still be deadly cold.  This workshop will be a perfect opportunity to figure out how you might need to be better prepared and give you the time over the winter to get ready.

The discussions will cover topics such as:
 - Clothing (layering and protection)
 - Accessories (hats, gloves, etc)
 - Prevention (ways to avoid you or someone else getting cold)
 - Mitigation (how to manage when someone does get cold)

The immersion portion(s) of the workshop will entail simply walking into the water to test gear and kit, as well as getting into boats and figuring out how to incorporate it all together.  Wet exits, rolling, and re-entries (self and assisted) will be welcomed exercises, but not requirements

Details:
Who -  any current NSPN member can attend this workshop (email membership@nspn.org for any help updating membership)
When - Nov 20th at 9:30am.
Where - West Beach in Beverly
How - To register, please go to the calendar posting and click the Going button (see calendar posting if you need to change your status)
Why - If you have questions, please don’t hesitate to post here or send me a direct message

What to bring?  Bring what you have, and let us know if you would like to borrow something.  Here is a partial list to get you inspired:
 - Hot beverage
 - Hot food (like soup in a thermos)
 - Snacks (for energy)
 - Warm layers (base layer against skin and/or mid layer for added insulation)
          - Avoid any cotton, including socks and underwear, as it tends to hold moisture creating cold spots that hog body energy
          - Wool performs well as an insulator, even when damp, and tends to dry better than cotton
          - Synthetics perform very well, even when damp, and tend to dry fastest
 - Drysuit (if you have one).  If you want to experiment with a wet suit, feel free, but generally they are uncomfortable in the boat
 - Paddling shoes or neoprene booties (crocks and such don’t provide any warmth)
 - Paddling gear and equipment (boat, paddle, PFD, spray skirt, helmet, tow belt, chart case, radio, etc) whatever you typically use 
 - Warm land gear (jacket, hat, gloves, blanket, etc)
 - Shelter to hold warmth or escape wind (tarp, tent fly, etc) - sheet plastic is not recommended due to lack of breathability
 - Ground padding / insulation

VOLUNTEERS - If you want to help with this workshop, or have extra gear to loan out, please get in touch with me to coordinate.  Even if you have never helped with a workshop before and don’t want to be a presenter, there are other ways to help.  Just let me know if you are interested in doing more than just attending, and we can discuss how we might be able to make that happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Location will be West Beach in Beverly (121 West St, Beverly, MA 01915).  There is more than one West Beach around, so make sure you go to the right one!  Let's plan on being ready to start by 9:30am.  Weather is looking to be manageable, so let's hope that stays.  Keep in mind that this is primarily a beach workshop, so be prepared to be standing around, potentially wet, on a 40-degree day.

I recommend bringing extra clothing layers, and time for changing will readily be made available during the workshop.  Bring what you have to stay warm while out of the water, and if you have extras to share, bring those as well.  This will be a good day for experimenting and discussing what works and what doesn't.

I am looking forward to a chilly beach day.   I started Cold Water paddling last winter and my biggest issue was trying to determine what to wear under my dry suit. My effort involved discussing it with friends and just going through trial and error along with making detailed notes.  

The main issue was a trade off between getting too hot during paddling while being okay with a medium long swim.   My old NRS dry suit just doesn't breathe at all.  It reminds me of the old sauna suits I used to use while cutting weight for wrestling and boxing.  ? 

I was planing to bring a range of clothes under the dry suit for different temps.  I would encourage others to do the same. 

Per Rob's comment above, I will be organizing a post-workshop trip. Route and timing to be decided at the event, but likely leaving right after lunch (12:30? and landing by 3:00 at the latest). 

Tomorrow is forecast to be a very calm and windless day with very little swell.