Skills Practice Session: Saturday 10/2/2021 @ 9 am

Joseph Berkovitz

The final Skills Practice Session of the year will take place Saturday 10/2/21 at 9 am. The location will be determined mid-week based on the forecast. The expectation is that this event will take place somewhere in the North Shore area. We have more venues open to us with the end of beach season.

Topic: It's finally fall, and I would really like to end our Skills Practice season with some conditions to work with. This summer did not have a lot of wind and waves to offer, but I am hopeful for some combination of stronger winds, bigger sea conditions or surf. The location will be chosen to give us the best opportunity to work with what we get. There is no single long-range forecast right now, but for Saturday 10/2 one model suggests strong NE winds and the other one suggests large swell. Whatever's happening, we'll try to find some place that lets us achieve the right level (or, better, multiple levels) of challenge to practice in. Things we might consider working on include:

* launches and landings in the surf
* surfing on waves
* boat handling and incident management in the surf zone
* boat handling and rescues in wind and chop
* reading the water in larger conditions

Whatever we work on will need to be appropriate for the environment we wind up with, so there are no guarantees. It's October and the doldrums are over!

Registration and Insurance: NSPN insures participants and facilitators through the American Canoe Association (ACA), similar to club pool sessions. This protects everyone involved. If you’re a regular ACA member ($40/year), you can fill out an annual online waiver once for all skills practices, and merely provide your ACA member number on each signup.  Non-members have to pay a $10 ACA event fee through the NSPN Store, and fill out an ACA online waiver for each session. 

The registration form is here, and will walk you through the insurance steps (links are provided to the ACA and NSPN websites as needed).

https://forms.gle/4jGLX2DShWvv2ZNT6

We will be limiting the size of this session to about 12 participants (not including the facilitators). I will append more info to this thread as more becomes known.

Hope to see you there! Please PM me with any questions you may have.

To anyone who wants to attend: please register via the form whose link is given above, and take care to follow the ACA event waiver instructions carefully. Unfortunately I cannot keep track of people based on posts to this thread. The registration process alone determines who is in the event.