Wed. Lunch Paddle: 9/1/2021 Rockport to Thacher Island

Joseph Berkovitz

People: Joe Berkovitz, Bob Levine, Liz Neumeier, Prudence Baxter, Barb Ryan, Jody Harris, Ben Rechel, David Mercer

image.thumb.png.acca9632c8fe9d9e3329357a40afaa8e.png

Conditions: Light N wind becoming W 5-8 kt, Swell 1.6 ft @ 8 sec, overcast with occasional light rain, air 68 F, water similar

This trip was planned as an outing to Thacher Island to see the island and go up in one of the towers. We made our way out to Thacher where we landed in a bit of a crowded situation as two successive shuttle boats were using the ramp around 11:15 am when we arrived. (NOTE: the shuttle boats only operate on Wednesdays and Saturdays during the season and the season is now over). Bob, David and Prudence stayed in the water to continue a circumnav of Thacher while the rest of us landed and climbed up the south tower to an amazing panoramic view, where a docent awaited us. We had just made it in time as the docent was about to leave and close up the tower.

We left the tower and had lunch in the pleasant little camping/dining area with its privy+art gallery, a must see. Then we launched (just before another shuttle boat was coming in; it had to wait a few minutes while the last of us got off the ramp) and did a Thacher circumnav joining the others, who were now doing their second round trip. The outside was dynamic and beautiful as usual although less rough than on many other occasions. Then around the outside of Straitsmouth and back to Granite Pier by 2:30.

Please everyone on this trip feel free to append your pictures to this thread! I did not take any pictures this time.

I LOVED this adventure. Another “best ever” as I am finding every paddle with you paddling buddies turns out to be. 
Wonderful Planning Joe and Bob, thanks! And, TERRIFIC pics Jody and Ben! 
I’ll try now to add a few more.
this trip I saw the most wildlife. The huge Grey seals watching us at the northeast tip of Thacher, and the cool mola mola and a little brave bird (red nuthatch Bob?) that came along for a ride!

Edited by Barbara Ryan
Add a word